Network Bridge & Wrong IP Address

G

I just bought a new Notebook and am trying to get it to work with my Home Network. I have a DSL Internet connection with a Linksys 4-port router/gateway behind the DSL modem. I also have a Linksys Wireless Access Point connected to the 4-port router/gateway. My existing wired computers have been working fine. One runs Windows 98SE and the other Windows XP Home. My new Notebook has both wired & wireless NICs. I first tried connecting with the wired NIC through my 4-port router/gateway. It got its IP address dynamically and everything seemed to work fine. Then I tried the wireless NIC. Again it got its IP address dynamically and I was on the net. Then I noticed, I couldn't see the other systems on my network, so I clicked on the "Set up Home or Small Office Network". After the wizard ran, I had the network bridge containing both my wired & wireless NICs. The default configuration for the bridge is to "Optain an IP Address Automatically", just like the configuration for the NICs. However, when I connect, this doesn't seem to work and it falls back to its "Alternate Configuration", which is "Automatic Private IP Address". The address is a different subnet than my Home Network, with no Gateway, DHCP Server, or DNS Servers and of course I can't communicate on my network or the Internet. I've only tried this with my wireless connection so far. Why can't it get the address automatically? What am I missing? I need some advice.

G

Gary T,
I would delete the bridge and go back to the way it was. You might have a firewall or the MS firewall turned on that is preventing you from seeing your other computers on the network.

G

tbrox,

Thanks. I read another piece of advice that stated, run "Set up Home or Small Office Network", but just select one (1) network device and the Bridge won't be created. However, it looks like shutting off the MS firewall really is what does the trick. Is there any way to leave the MS firewall on and configure it, so I can see my LAN? I know ZoneAlarm will let you trust specified subnets or specified addresses.

Ask a Question