Netset.exe not working for setting IP address.

Midi

I need to set the IP address that the end user will see, but Sysprep
-reseal wipes any network settings. I've obtained the Win2000 Server
Resource Kit (as recommended before), and tried netset.exe, but I get
an error message stating that netset.exe cannot set the settings for
my network adapter. Are there any other options to force the end user
to have the IP address (to start atleast) that he needs to have?

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Midi said:
I need to set the IP address that the end user will see, but Sysprep
-reseal wipes any network settings. I've obtained the Win2000 Server
Resource Kit (as recommended before), and tried netset.exe, but I get
an error message stating that netset.exe cannot set the settings for
my network adapter. Are there any other options to force the end user
to have the IP address (to start atleast) that he needs to have?

Hi

What version is your netset.exe?

For WinXP it is included as a utility in the support tools installation
package (on your WinXP CD) with version number 1.0.0.7 and date 2001-08-17

You could take a look at Netsh.exe that comes with the OS as well:

How to Use the Netsh.exe Tool and Command-Line Switches
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;242468

Some examples:

For a Static IP use:
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 125.187.7.56
255.0.0.0

And for DHCP use:
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" DHCP

More here:

From: Jerry ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Change TCP/IP info on Win2k via VBScript
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript
Date: 2002-09-06 22:56:10 PST
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

From: Jim de Graff ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Enable DHCP?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,
microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin
Date: 2002-09-16 12:48:43 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=#cqQ7waXCHA.2404@tkmsftngp10