Netbook

Reaction score
Hey,

As I said, I'm going to be in Singapore and just wanted to know if anyone had any experience of netbooks? Thought I might try and pick one up there. Just need it to keep in touch with people and for my photos.

Thanks.

Bodhi

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I asked about Netbooks a month or so ago and the general consensus - mine now included - was that the Samsung was a clear winner :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Your G3 phone will probably be able to do more, but it only got a 2" screen, or smaller?

The Netbook is just a small laptop, think Asus Eee & Dell Mini ... ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's just a small laptop, what I really need it for at the moment is putting my photos onto, keeping my blog updated and using Skype to talk to my parents while I'm away.

A netbook won't be that speedy, but they should be reliable and able to do all of the above I assume? It will just be like a laptop that you won't want to sit in front of for hours I guess?

Bodhi

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh it'll be speedy alright they all run Atom 1.6Ghz processors, it'll be just as fast as a normal Laptop Bodhi..

Be the speed of your internet connection that will slow you down I bet..

Reaction score
Were you being sarcastic Crazylegs? I had heard that the Atom was a bit sluggish?? :-/

Reaction score
Netbooks are decent enough on the move. They vary alot on spec, but to be honest if you're you aren't going to be doing anything intensive on it and need it to be compact, you can pick them up cheap from high-street retailers without having to scour for prices online. Thus the likes of Singapore should have them at very reasonable prices.
You can shove the broadband mobile sticks into them too, which is also handy for keeping in touch on the move.
Some of the travel hotels in England have started charging silly money (£5/hr) to use their internet in your own room!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Were you being sarcastic Crazylegs? I had heard that the Atom was a bit sluggish?? :-/

Nope I don't do sarcastic mate...Its the lowest form of wit.

Just saying the Atom processors in these little netbooks are pretty nippy, they also use Linux and cut down versions of Windows XP so you shouldn't have any bother with speed..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, nowt wrong with the Atom.

We're talking Netbooks here, not the latest i7 desktops with triple sticks of RAM :)

Reaction score
Haha, fair enough.

Sounds like they're worth a punt then. As I say, I just want something cheap I can take on planes / trains while I'm traveling for the next year that will hold my photos and run skype and msn and the occasional word document etc. Not going to be doing any games or anything.

Just read that Samsung have a couple of new Netbooks coming out, the N110 and the N120. Sound pretty good, and have about 10 hours of battery life!! Meant to be out in April.

Bodhi

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You won't go far wrong with the Samsungs mate..I wouldn't touch the Acers with a BP..

Reaction score
Hiya,

Yeah gotta agree with Samsung - have a NC10, 1.6GHZ Atom, 1GB Ram, 160Gb HArd drive. Pretty solid and reliable, maybe a bit on the heavy side compared to others though(not really compared.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Having done a little research, think I'll wait for the Samsung N110. Looks like a pretty sweet machine.

Ask a Question