.NET redistributable and Languages

Randal

Can the .NET language packs be applied to non-English
versions of the .NET Runtime. FOr example, if the German
version of the .NET framework is installed, can a
French .NET language pack be applied?

Michael Giagnocavo [MVP]

Generally this is not possible. Even if it allows you, I wouldn't trust it
(mixing languages almost always has a bad result).
-mike
MVP

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi Randal

I agree with answer from Michael, and I'd like to add some more information.

Each assembly includes its culture information, version number and public
key token in its manifest. When loading an assembly, CLR will compare these
information to see if this assembly is the needed one. Any difference in
these information will make the CLR think they are different assemblies, so
it might not be properly loaded.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to reply to the post.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

| From: "Randal" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Randal" <[email protected]>
| Subject: .NET redistributable and Languages
| Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:01:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
|
| Can the .NET language packs be applied to non-English
| versions of the .NET Runtime. FOr example, if the German
| version of the .NET framework is installed, can a
| French .NET language pack be applied?

Randal

Let me elaborate on the issue a bit more and maybe there
is a different solution for what I wish to do.

The issue is one of deploying our .NET application in
different countries. Before we can install our
application, we have to install the .NET framework.

So far, so good...

The problem is that we will only be producing one CD for
all installs. We cannot simply install the English
version of .NET, since we are distributing to other
countries.

My understanding of language packs was that they were to
provide resources to the .NET framework for other
languages. So your responses gernerate a few questions:

1. Is this assumption correct?
2. If so, are language packs okay to install alongside
any pre-existing version of the .NET framework (non-
English), or only pre-existing English versions of
the .NET framework?
3. If not, what IS the intended use of the language packs?

I realize that an alternate approach to this whole problem
would be to copy all full versions of the .NET framework
to the deployment media, but there are issues with this as
well, not the least of which is the amount of CD space
this will require.

Gabriele G. Ponti

3. If not, what IS the intended use of the language packs?

It is my understanding that the Language Packs consist on translated text
for languages other than English (like error messages) for the English .NET
Framework installed on non-English operating systems.

Gabriele

Randal

So what would be the difference between installing a German version of the
..NET framework and and English version of the .NET Framework with a German
language pack?

Mr.Tickle

You will get something like

"Ich bin Exception: Smerdy herdy bork bork herr flick!!"

Michael Giagnocavo [MVP]

Sorry, I misread "language packs" for "service packs" :S.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/dotnetfxref1_1.asp

See the notes section. On good operating systems (NT+) you can supposedly
install any language pack with any Windows language and localized DotNetFX.
However, it does say that it's preferrable to install the localized
DotNetFX.

Also see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/redistdeploy1_1.asp

Thanks,
-mike
MVP

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Thanks, Michael for your reply.

Hi Randal,

From the document Michael offers, we can see that the language packs offer
resource files for localize the information provided by the .net framework,
such as error messages. Here are answers to your questions:

1. Yes, your assumptions are correct.
2. Language packs can be installed on any pre-existing version of the .NET
framework (non-English). However there're some limitations in win98. Please
see the document for reference.

So my recommendation to this issue is to provide both the English version
of .net framework and some language packs in your CD.

Does this answer your question? If anything is unclear, please feel free to
reply to the post.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

| From: "Randal" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Randal" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: .NET redistributable and Languages
| Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:11:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
|
| Let me elaborate on the issue a bit more and maybe there
| is a different solution for what I wish to do.
|
| The issue is one of deploying our .NET application in
| different countries. Before we can install our
| application, we have to install the .NET framework.
|
| So far, so good...
|
| The problem is that we will only be producing one CD for
| all installs. We cannot simply install the English
| version of .NET, since we are distributing to other
| countries.
|
| My understanding of language packs was that they were to
| provide resources to the .NET framework for other
| languages. So your responses gernerate a few questions:
|
| 1. Is this assumption correct?
| 2. If so, are language packs okay to install alongside
| any pre-existing version of the .NET framework (non-
| English), or only pre-existing English versions of
| the .NET framework?
| 3. If not, what IS the intended use of the language packs?
|

| I realize that an alternate approach to this whole problem
| would be to copy all full versions of the .NET framework
| to the deployment media, but there are issues with this as
| well, not the least of which is the amount of CD space
| this will require.

| >|