.Net Framework, SQL Server & Visual Studio

ZZ_Scarab

Hi,

I need to install .Net Framework, SQL Server 2000 and Visual Studio on a
system running WinXP Pro SP2. I have a number of questions that cover the
interactions between the three products:

1. It's my understanding that the order of installation should be .Net
Framework, SQL Server 2000 and Visual Studio. Is this correct? I checked the
MS Knowledge Base found a lt of reported problems but no articles that
specifically addressed this question.

2. SQL Server 2000 is the only restriction as far as version is concerned.
Is it compatible with .Net Framework 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005 or should I
install different versions of these two products?

3. If the version selected is Visual Studio 2005, can this also generate
Win32 applications or is it exclusively for .Net applications?

4. C# is going to be the development language of choice. Specifically, can
C# be used for Win32 application development or is it strictly for .Net
only?

5. Are there any installation pitfalls or "bewares" that I should be
especialy aware of?

Thank you very much for your help.

Henning Krause [MVP - Exchange]

Hello,
I need to install .Net Framework, SQL Server 2000 and Visual Studio on a
system running WinXP Pro SP2. I have a number of questions that cover the
interactions between the three products:

1. It's my understanding that the order of installation should be .Net
Framework, SQL Server 2000 and Visual Studio. Is this correct? I checked
the MS Knowledge Base found a lt of reported problems but no articles that
specifically addressed this question.

Visual Studio will install the required version of .NET. And IMHO the
install sequence of Visual Studio and SQL Server doesn't matter. But you'll
want to do a custom install of Visual Studio, because it comes with a SQL
server express edition.
2. SQL Server 2000 is the only restriction as far as version is concerned.
Is it compatible with .Net Framework 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005 or should
I install different versions of these two products?

SQL Server 2000 has nothing to do with .NET. You can use any version of .NET
to access SQL Server 2000.
3. If the version selected is Visual Studio 2005, can this also generate
Win32 applications or is it exclusively for .Net applications?

If you choose C++, you can still create native application. All other
languages target .NET exclusively.

4. C# is going to be the development language of choice. Specifically, can
C# be used for Win32 application development or is it strictly for .Net
only?

You can certainly interop into Win32 if you need a specific functionality if
it's not exposed directly via .NET. But all C# programms do need the .NET
runtime.
5. Are there any installation pitfalls or "bewares" that I should be
especialy aware of?

Install the service packs for all products. But SP1 for Visual Studio takes
really much time to install...

Kind regards,
Henning Krause

Rory Becker

1. It's my understanding that the order of installation should be .Net
Framework, SQL Server 2000 and Visual Studio. Is this correct? I
checked the MS Knowledge Base found a lt of reported problems but no
articles that specifically addressed this question.

VS include the .Net Framework so no need to install seperately.(I assume
you are talking about a .Net edition. ie vs 2002 or later)

SQL2000 can install before or after. I don't believe it makes any difference.
2. SQL Server 2000 is the only restriction as far as version is
concerned. Is it compatible with .Net Framework 2.0 and Visual Studio
2005 or should I install different versions of these two products?

Well SQL Server 2005 is later and uses .Net 2.0 internally (also usable with
Stored procs)

But SQL Server 2000 is fine too. we use SQL2000 VS2003(.Net 1.1) ,VS2005(.Net
2.0) and all is peachy :)
3. If the version selected is Visual Studio 2005, can this also
generate Win32 applications or is it exclusively for .Net
applications?

VB.Net and C# are .Net only. C++ has other options but I am unfamiliar with
them.

The above also hold true for VS2003
4. C# is going to be the development language of choice. Specifically,
can C# be used for Win32 application development or is it strictly for
.Net only?

Se above (.Net only)
5. Are there any installation pitfalls or "bewares" that I should be
especialy aware of?

The only thing I can think of is a distant memory of installing .Net 1.1
over .Net 1.0 forcing (by default) IIS .Net 1.0 ASP.Net apps to jump to .Net
1.1. - but I don't think this will be an issue by the sounds of it.

ZZ_Scarab

Thank you very much, Henning. Now another slight change of mind. We might
actually go with SQL Server 2005 rather than 2000. Do all the answers below
still apply, especially the order of installation in as far as installing
SQL Server before or after VS 2005, and letting VS 2005 automatically
install .Net Framework 2.0?

Thank you again for your help.

ZZ_Scarab

Thank you very much, Rory. Please review my response to Henning Karuse's
reply.

Thank you again.

Henning Krause [MVP - Exchange]

Hello,

SQL Server also comes with a Visual Studio - but with limited functionality
(like support for Reporting Services but not for any languages).

So you should install Visual Studio 2005, then SQL Server 2005, then the
service packs.

Service Packs are critical for both products.

Kind regards,
Henning Krause

ZZ_Scarab

Very good, Henning. I'll follow this installation order as you specified it.
Thank you very much again for your help.

Best regards,

Waguih

ZZ_Scarab

One last question, please. Since SQL Server 2005 comes with a limited
functionality VS and VS 2005 comes with the SQL Server Express Edition,
should I do a custom install of both to exclude these two components, or
just do a straight install of both VS 2005 and SQL Server 2005, then ensure
the full editions are the ones being used via comfiguration options in both
products?

Thank you again.

Waguih

Henning Krause [MVP - Exchange]

Hello,

when you install Visual Studio, just unselect the SQL Server Express
edition. After the setup finishes, install SQL Server 2005.

Kind regards,
Henning Krause

ZZ_Scarab said:
Thank you very much, Henning. Now another slight change of mind. We
might actually go with SQL Server 2005 rather than 2000. Do all the
answers below still apply, especially the order of installation in as
far as installing SQL Server before or after VS 2005, and letting VS
2005 automatically install .Net Framework 2.0?

Thank you again for your help.

"Henning Krause [MVP - Exchange]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Hello,

[...]

Thanks again, Henning.

Waguih