.NET Framework 2.0 in Visual Studio 2003 ??


G

Guest

I have Visual Studio .NET 2003 that currently supports framework version 1.1, 1.0 or both.

When .NET Framework 2.0 is released with Visual Studio 2005, will I be able to use framework 2.0 with Visual Studio .NET 2003 by somehow selecting the framework 2.0 run time ?? Or I will have to shell my money out again even if I don't want 2005 version with advanced features ....

Mike
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

Mike said:
I have Visual Studio .NET 2003 that currently supports framework
version 1.1, 1.0 or both.

When .NET Framework 2.0 is released with Visual Studio 2005, will I
be able to use framework 2.0 with Visual Studio .NET 2003 by somehow
selecting the framework 2.0 run time ?? Or I will have to shell my
money out again even if I don't want 2005 version with advanced
features .....

I think it's very unlikely that you'll be able to develop against 2.0
with VS.NET 2003. However, I would expect a reasonably cheap upgrade
licence to be available, just as there was a *very* cheap upgrade
licence for 2002->2003.
 
R

Ralph Gerbig

Hi,

As I see my Visual Studio .net 2003 does'nt use .net Framework 2.0 though it
is instalt, I can'nt switch to it like I can do with .net framework 1.1
either. But see what the futre will bring.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen -- Regards

Ralph Gerbig
(e-mail address removed)
www.ralphgerbig.de.vu
 
G

Guest

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. Where did you get Framework 2.0. Is it available for general public yet ? I wish there was a way somewhere such that in future, I could specify framework 2.0 runtime or later with Visual Studio 2003 so that when I build/compile it just uses the latest framework. If not, I would have to just used VS.net 2003 as mere editor and compile using command line or get a third party build package ??

Mik

----- Ralph Gerbig wrote: ----

Hi

As I see my Visual Studio .net 2003 does'nt use .net Framework 2.0 though it
is instalt, I can'nt switch to it like I can do with .net framework 1.1
either. But see what the futre will bring

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen -- Regard

Ralph Gerbi
(e-mail address removed)
www.ralphgerbig.de.v
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Daniel O'Connell [C# MVP]

Mike said:
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. Where did you get Framework 2.0. Is
it available for general public yet ? I wish there was a way somewhere
such that in future, I could specify framework 2.0 runtime or later with
Visual Studio 2003 so that when I build/compile it just uses the latest
framework. If not, I would have to just used VS.net 2003 as mere editor
and compile using command line or get a third party build package ???

The 2.0 framework is available to some beta testers and MSDN Universal
subscribers at this point.

As for using 2003 as an editor, its likely to be a sub-optimal solution.
Considering some of the additions to the languages and runtime(generics and
partial types for all, iterators and anonymous methods for C# specifically)
the IDE will *not* work well. Your intellisense for generic types wouldn't
work. The IDE will lkely pick up syntax errors all over the place, etc.

If you just want to use 1.1 language features with 2.0 classes you may be
able to do it with only minor sacrification of intellisense, but you will
not have access to much of the new functionality.

And yes you will need a third party build system or do a commandline build.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top