Net firms start storing user data

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Details of user e-mails and net phone calls will be stored by internet service providers (ISPs) from Monday under an EU directive.

Mr Killock said the directive was passed only by "stretching the law".

The EU passed it by "saying it was a commercial matter and not a police matter", he explained.

"Because of that they got it through on a simple vote, rather than needing unanimity, which is required for policing matters," he said.

"The problem is that this regime allows not just police to access this information but hundreds of other public bodies."

Sweden has decided to ignore the directive completely while there is a challenge going through the German courts at present.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7985339.stm

So now loads of folk not just the police or security forces can see what when and to whom you send e-mails. An the British Government is payiny the ISP's so that folk can snoop on us all. Don't it just make you glad that you live in such a FREE and open society.

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Details of user e-mails and net phone calls will be stored by internet service providers (ISPs) from Monday under an EU directive.

"The problem is that this regime allows not just police to access this information but hundreds of other public bodies."

Virgin (blueyonder) BT, Tiscali, O2, and a good few others have been doing it for quite a while..Read your smallprint......And as for the secnd bit of the quote..Who cares, have you anything to hide..? And under data protection, these other companies can'tactually use your details etc...You knw what...Here's the score, you are on the WWW, if you chooseto enter you personal details then tough luck, somebody else is goign to see them..If you have something to hide and don't want your details shared, get off your arse and walk to the shop you care to purchase from....At the end of the day, your detailsare common knowlegege as soon as you make your first step online..Wether that be just browsing or making a purchase....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
  • The Nazi party takes power in Germany. Adolf Hitler becomes chancellor, or prime minister, of Germany.
  • Nazis "temporarily" suspend civil liberities for all citizens. They are never restored.
  • Hitler orders the systematic murder of the mentally and physically disabled in Germany and Austria.
  • Jews are required to wear armbands or yellow stars.
  • Nazis begin deporting German Jews to Poland.
  • Jews are forced into ghettos.
  • Nazis begin the first mass murder of Jews in Poland.
Once your civil liberties and freedoms are taken away from you anything can happen. Thats why it is important to fight for your freedoms.
If you want to live in a totally controlled state , do nothing.
Me I like the notion of living in a free state so I will do something.

happywave.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
an email = a postcard

ISP have always stored your "details" ... now they need to keep 1,000,000,000 hd's to store it all. :rolleyes:

it has always been so ... live & learn. :lol:

Me I like the notion of living in a free state ...
Name but one ... :nod:

Just add a "sig" to all your emails ... "how to make a bomb" ... and sit back & wait. ;)

Ask a Question