Nesting Groups Query

G

Hi There,

I Have a quick question regarding Nesting Groups. I currently have 4 sites in my active directory. We recently upgraded our bandwidth between sites and have begun to move all user data to a NAS located in the root domain. I have created some groups and granted them access to certain directories on the NAS. I have also created other groups with contain users and nested them in to the NAS access groups. My question is should the groups that give access rights to the NAS be Universal groups or Domain Local group. Also am i right to assume that groups that contain users should be Global Groups. Any assistance on this would be gratefully received.

Thanks..

S

Steven L Umbach

Here is a link that may help. If you only have one domain, then it probably makes
sense to use universal groups sparingly and keep in mind that they require use of the
global catalog server and for Windows 2000 do not put individual users in universal
groups due to the global catalog replication that will occur every time you add
users. As you said, add domain users to domain global groups. Universal groups would
be good for putting global groups into for access to a common resource via nesting in
domain local groups. --- Steve

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Litmus/universal_groups.htm

Tony F said:
Hi There,

I Have a quick question regarding Nesting Groups. I currently have 4 sites in my
active directory. We recently upgraded our bandwidth between sites and have begun to
move all user data to a NAS located in the root domain. I have created some groups
and granted them access to certain directories on the NAS. I have also created other
groups with contain users and nested them in to the NAS access groups. My question is
should the groups that give access rights to the NAS be Universal groups or Domain
Local group. Also am i right to assume that groups that contain users should be
Global Groups. Any assistance on this would be gratefully received.

Ask a Question