Need recommendation on laser printer

bglenn3

Hello:

I'm looking for a new b/w laser printer that has these two qualities --
prints consistently DARK and has an envelope feeder.

These two things are important because I do a lot of manuscripts. I've had a
Brother HL-1240 for two years -- but even when I replace the toner and/or
the drum, it still won't print dark enough (and all manual adjustments in
the software make no difference). Plus those drums cost a fortune.

I was thinking about an HP 1300, but then read a review that said its
printing was disappointingly light (plus it doesn't have an envelope
feeder). I've seen Samsung and Lexmark recommended by some for crisp, dark
printing.

Any recommendations on brands and models? My range is up to $400.

Thanks for your help.

bglenn3

Yes, but it just doesn't look quite right. The people I'm submitting
manuscripts too are pretty picky about the appearance of the text.

Bob Kos

I'm happy with the Lexmark Optra S lasers I own. They're a little expensive
new, but they're a decent bargain in the used market. You can buy one off
lease for $100 ~ $300 at this point. Just watch page count - they're
apparently not as indestructible as the HP 4 series. A myriad of
accessories are available for them, including a detachable envelope feeder.
The high capacity toner does 17K prints.

bglenn3 wrote in message ...

watchismine

I use Optra S printers daily in my work and they are excellent. The Lexmark
Optra line is the preferred printer in the healthcare field (hospitals,
pharmacies, doctors offices), so there's a ton of them out there. We put
them through constant hard use mostly running thick label stock and have got
5+ years of use out of them without a major mishap. Print quality is sharp
and crisp. I've seen Optra S printers selling in the local computer recycle
shops for $15. No doubt one heck of a deal.