Need New PC recommendations/info

CBFalconer

Mac said:
CBFalconer:

Just read the EULA before posting nonsense. OEM licenses stay with
the machine, independantly bought copies are transferable but cannot
be installed on more than one machine at a time. What you are
referring to is charities distributing computers with Windows
preloaded that they did not have licenses for. It's called stealing.
Just because a charity does it, doesn't negate the law and it
doesn't make MS the bad guy. They have a legal requirement to
protect their rights.

Nonsense. These machines had originally been bought with the OS
preinstalled, and it was still there. Joe Q. Blow is not going to
preserve the sales slips etc. from the original purchase and pass
them on to the Salvation Army or whoever. It's called
rapaciousness on the part of Micro$haft.

Why should I read the EULA? I won't let Windows XP within a mile
of my machines. I have seen enough of it in the past to know that
this is a good idea.

Mac Cool

CBFalconer:
The voice of a lamb being led to the slaughter, or a well trained
MS consumer. Just as you have to work to avoid sales or income
tax, you have to work to avoid MS tax.

I am well trained. Been using MS Windows for many years and it is vastly
superior to all alternatives. Don't blame your deficiencies on MS.

Mac Cool

CBFalconer:
Nonsense. These machines had originally been bought with the OS
preinstalled, and it was still there. Joe Q. Blow is not going to
preserve the sales slips etc. from the original purchase and pass
them on to the Salvation Army or whoever. It's called
rapaciousness on the part of Micro$haft.

If they don't have a license, they can't be sold with an operating
system. It doesn't matter if a charity does it. Educate yourself, all
companies have a legal obligation to protect their rights or they can
lose them.
Why should I read the EULA?

Why indeed? Much more fun to make up junk and claim ignorance.

Dave C.

(major snippage)
Actually it is a fact that P4 uses more power,
and it is a fact that power supplies are priced based on
capacity, on average. Maybe you get luck and find a sale,
or maybe you always buy more than you need, but that doesn't
change things... anyone can pay more for more.

Except that this "right power supply" has to be higher
capacity to support the P4!

Not extraordinary, simply MORE. Again, indisputable facts.
P4 creates more heat. It IS necesary to have more airflow
to remove that heat for the case to stay at same internal
ambient temp. Likewise if someone doesn't always want to
hear their heatsink, it takes a beefier heatsink to keep the
P4 at same temp.

Why am I getting the feeling you're an Intel shill?

The P4 doesn't use THAT much more power. If you purchase the right power
supply for an Athlon64 system, you can put that same exact power supply in a
similar P4 system and it will work fine. A power supply does not need to be
a higher capacity to support a P4. However, if your system uses (for
example) exactly 300W maximum, only an idiot would actually buy a power
supply rated at (for example) 300W maximum. So you ALWAYS buy a power
supply that is bigger than you need. That is, unless you want to replace
the power supply along with every upgrade you do to your computer. (not
very smart)

If a case is properly cooled, it will be properly cooled for either
processor. And you don't need to spend a lot of money or have a really loud
system to have it cooled properly. YES, you can throw a bazillion really
loud fans into any system. But any computer (Athlon64 or P4) should need no
more than one (quiet) case fan, along with the (quiet) power supply fans(s)
to cool it PROPERLY. If you need more cooling than that, the reason you
need more cooling has NOTHING to do with the CPU. For example, if you have
(4) 10,000RPM hard drives, you might need some more case fans to keep that
system cool.

There are cheap, QUIET HSF solutions available for both CPUs. And yes, the
performance of the two CPUs, Athlon 64 vs. P4, is identical. I've been
called an Intel shill before. The truth is, I prefer AMD processors, and
USUALLY build with AMD processors. But my most recent two builds were both
P4. In the first P4 build, I was working on a very strict budget and found
that the system I needed to build was actually cheaper to build (and thus I
could keep it within budget) if I used a P4 3.0 Prescott. And no, I didn't
use a cheapie mainboard, either . . . but Athlon64 mainboards -at the time-
were really expensive in comparison to their socket 478 counterparts. That
P4 system I built ended up being so fast and stable, it impressed the heck
outta me, and I was comparing it to similar AMD systems. So for my next
build, I deliberately chose the P4. My next build, I might (probably will)
go the Athlon64 route.

But I get so fricking tired of seeing people post that AMD is faster and
cheaper than Intel, period. Why is it that if I repeat the opinion of many
well-regarded experts, I am called a shill for that? If I'm a shill, what
does that make tomshardware, anandtech and sharky extreme, for example? Are
they all Intel shills, also? The facts are, Intel P4 systems are just as
easy and cheap to build, and perform as well as Athlon64 systems. Yeah, at
any specific moment, the -total- cost of a computer system might favor AMD
by less than it costs to fill the gas tank on my compact car. But that's
not always true, as processor prices are constantly changing. Just a few
months ago, prices of mid-range processors were identical, and mainboards
for the P4 were actually cheaper, making the P4 system (overall) cheaper to
build. Right NOW, if you want a P4 system, it will cost you a tad more than
an Athlon64 system. So little extra that you won't even notice, next to the
total cost of the computer. -Dave

kony

CBFalconer:

If they don't have a license, they can't be sold with an operating
system. It doesn't matter if a charity does it. Educate yourself, all
companies have a legal obligation to protect their rights or they can
lose them.

One story I recall regarding the charities was that they had
received the systems with windows installed, but had not
received the CD, license, or other misc. included items.

If that is the case, then it is more a matter of Microsoft
attacking the charity because they can't locate the original
owner. Since, as Microsoft states, the operating system is
tied to the original/OEM system, then they can't declare
that BOTH the original owner that retained the license, AND
the charity running the operating system licensed to that
box, are in the wrong. One or the other would have the
right to use the OS, and in this case it would the charity.

Problem then is PROVING the OS is licensed for that box.
MS could know this based upon selling the licenses to the
OEM, and that there is a unique key within the OS
installation, but instead they'd rather just assume "you're
not licensed unless you prove to us you are licensed"...
which is a large part of why i dont' like the license at
all... it should not be "guilty until proven innocent".

Then there's the other school of thought, that the OS is
only licensed if they have that certificate. Once upon a
time they mostly distributed the certificate as a real
certificate, but now a sticker on the case most often.
That's great for keeping track of it, but becomes
problematic if user changes cases but overall system remains
same. If MS argues that the case is the system, so be it,
but then some will want to build a different system in the
case.

The other problem is cleaning up. Often I've received old
boxes from rather filthy places. Heavy smokers, gravel
quarries, homes with multiple pets (pet hair), etc. Point
being, easiest way to clean all that up is as little
physical contact as possible, a leaf blower, water hose,
etc, but one now has to be careful about damaging that paper
sticker on the case.

kony

(major snippage)

The P4 doesn't use THAT much more power.

Pretty vague. Relatively speaking, it does use more power,
enough that it can be a factor, particularly if one isn't
buying (overbuying) larger PSU than the A64 box would need.
If you purchase the right power
supply for an Athlon64 system, you can put that same exact power supply in a
similar P4 system and it will work fine. A power supply does not need to be
a higher capacity to support a P4.

Unfortunately you're wrong. Perhaps, as i already wrote,
you're simply comparing situation when one spends more on
the A64 power supply than needed. Perhaps you're stuck on a
particular brand and that limitation means you, personally,
would buy the same power supply for either. That is not the
same as "needs same power". The difference is not large,
but neither is the difference in power output from a median
unit and a higher priced one... at least within the price
differential I mentioned, which was $40 to account for
power, heatsink, and a fan. Certainly if you want to
compare a $150 PSU to a $20 one then there would be more
difference.

However, if your system uses (for
example) exactly 300W maximum, only an idiot would actually buy a power
supply rated at (for example) 300W maximum. So you ALWAYS buy a power
supply that is bigger than you need. That is, unless you want to replace
the power supply along with every upgrade you do to your computer. (not
very smart)

Exactly why you either have to buy a larger PSU for that P4,
OR accept a lower margin for it (closer to that "exactly
(nnn)W" scenario you mention.

If a case is properly cooled, it will be properly cooled for either
processor.

Only if you don't know a lot about cooling. Having
excessive airflow to handle "anything", means more wear on
fans, dust buildup, and noise than necessary. Again, Intel
changed case layout for BTX to address this, because their
CPU was running hotter. It might be argued that there were
other accomodations too, but that does not account for
putting the CPU up in front of the intake which can even
make the other parts run hotter.

And you don't need to spend a lot of money or have a really loud
system to have it cooled properly. YES, you can throw a bazillion really
loud fans into any system. But any computer (Athlon64 or P4) should need no
more than one (quiet) case fan, along with the (quiet) power supply fans(s)
to cool it PROPERLY. If you need more cooling than that, the reason you
need more cooling has NOTHING to do with the CPU. For example, if you have
(4) 10,000RPM hard drives, you might need some more case fans to keep that
system cool.

Reread what I wrote on this, it was something like "to have
same ambient case temp". SURE, you certainly can use same
number/rate/flow fans, and you won't remove as much heat,
the P4 box WILL retain more. There is escaping this.

There are cheap, QUIET HSF solutions available for both CPUs. And yes, the
performance of the two CPUs, Athlon 64 vs. P4, is identical. I've been
called an Intel shill before.

It might be because you're ignoring all the factors, only
choosing those which support your argument. When two CPUs
have similar performance, it's generally those other factors
that are to be considered... failing a specific use pattern
by the user of apps that clearly benefits from one
architecture over the other.

With the heatsink similar issue- The P4 does produce more
heat. Intel spec sheets AND real-world tests confirm this.
Whether you can accept it or not, more heat requires more
elaborate/expensive heatsink, and/or more airflow/noise.
You can't just plop the same heatsink-fan (except it's
mounting) on either and have same result, unless you're
again overspending for the Athlon. I'm not suggesting one
use crap parts for the athlon, rather that there is a
correlation between heatsink performance and price, except
those that just strap an obnoxiously loud fan on top, which
only teenagers seem to like.
The truth is, I prefer AMD processors, and
USUALLY build with AMD processors. But my most recent two builds were both
P4. In the first P4 build, I was working on a very strict budget and found
that the system I needed to build was actually cheaper to build (and thus I
could keep it within budget) if I used a P4 3.0 Prescott. And no, I didn't
use a cheapie mainboard, either . . . but Athlon64 mainboards -at the time-
were really expensive in comparison to their socket 478 counterparts. That
P4 system I built ended up being so fast and stable, it impressed the heck
outta me, and I was comparing it to similar AMD systems. So for my next
build, I deliberately chose the P4. My next build, I might (probably will)
go the Athlon64 route.

Sure, when they first come out with boards they're pretty
expensive. Intel boards were too at first. Even so, one
can't look too far forward or backwards when it's an
industry that changes technology and pricing so much.

But I get so fricking tired of seeing people post that AMD is faster and
cheaper than Intel, period. Why is it that if I repeat the opinion of many
well-regarded experts, I am called a shill for that? If I'm a shill, what
does that make tomshardware, anandtech and sharky extreme, for example?

Well some people call Tom's Hardware the same, but more than
anything I think they like to just make a spectacle, cause
debate. Often being a shill can have to do with what one
ignores, a testing or comparision methology that was already
favoring one architecture over the other. Truth is, if
Intel were selling Athlon 64 CPUs and AMD the P4, there are
still plenty who would chose based on the company... and
it's their money, they can do that but it's good to have ALL
the facts too, not only benchmarks of new apps tuned for a
P4. Again it's fine if they use those apps, otherwise the
cost must be factored in too. Many people already have the
software to do what they want.
Are
they all Intel shills, also? The facts are, Intel P4 systems are just as
easy and cheap to build, and perform as well as Athlon64 systems.

Jumping to that conclusion isn't helping your case.
Yeah, at
any specific moment, the -total- cost of a computer system might favor AMD
by less than it costs to fill the gas tank on my compact car.

Sure, $50 here, $50 there, you're only looking at the CPU
right now, but taken as a whole it adds up. You argue same
cost or cheaper for Intel but now "les than it costs to fill
th gas tank". You're making progress, but still, it IS a
difference. Again, it has to be factored against user's
needs, not just a website's benchmarks of (particular new
apps).
But that's
not always true, as processor prices are constantly changing. Just a few
months ago, prices of mid-range processors were identical, and mainboards
for the P4 were actually cheaper, making the P4 system (overall) cheaper to
build. Right NOW, if you want a P4 system, it will cost you a tad more than
an Athlon64 system. So little extra that you won't even notice, next to the
total cost of the computer. -Dave

I do notice the heat difference. I've been tweaking systems
for heat management and low noise for several years. As for
performance, I'm not arguing that nobody should get a p4,
but rather that your initial claim of "p4 ... less
expensive" is wrong.

Al Smith

Anyway, my point was, if you already own Windows, and you buy a
The voice of a lamb being led to the slaughter, or a well trained
MS consumer. Just as you have to work to avoid sales or income
tax, you have to work to avoid MS tax.

What he said. :) Sure, you can avoid paying the Microsoft tax, if
you jump through hoops like a trained seal to do so. You don't see
many computers sold retail without Windows. They are hard to find,
and offer a limited choice.

Al Smith

Why should I read the EULA? I won't let Windows XP within a mile
of my machines. I have seen enough of it in the past to know that
this is a good idea.

I wish I had your determination. I took a long look at Mandrake
but finally upgraded to Windows XP. I feel like such a Micro-slut.
On the plus side, I stuck with my oath to never pay Microsoft
another dollar as long as I draw breath. I haven't violated that
oath in six years, and counting.

BobR

Tom Scales wrote in message ...
"BobR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
== $720.us
[ prices from Fry's, CyberGuys, CyberGeeks, etc.]

That's cheaper than Dell! <G>
If the OP can't use a screwdriver, the Dell is a good deal!
Fry's has/had some 'weaker' machines for $200.us! (Lindows OS)
[ sorry, I couldn't resist! "the devil made me do it". ]
-- Bob R POVrookie

Cheaper than Dell when you replace the LCD with a CRT, replace the PCI-e
video card with a $75 generic, etc. etc.

A Toyota Echo is cheaper than a Mercedes S500, but so ?
Tom

I'd love to drive the Mercedes (or anything faster (racer blood in me)),
BUT, some of us can't even afford a used Toy' Echo.

I was simply showing an option for those on a short budget. I built this
P4-2.4Ghz, 512Meg, 4xAGP(32M), for approx. $500.us (should take me to 2008,
using the 5 year rule)(I prefer Adventure games when not learning C++, so I
don't need a screaming-fast machine.).

To answer some other posts;
Yeah, Linux ain't the easiest to install, but, I think us newbies have put a
bug in the GNU ear and they are working on making a push-button install. May
not slay the giant, but has him worried! Even 'Big Blue' is joining the
GNU/Linux bandwagon. <G>

[ I'll limit any further posts in this thread to the ...pc.homebuilt NG.]

Mac Cool

Al Smith:
What he said. :) Sure, you can avoid paying the Microsoft tax, if
you jump through hoops like a trained seal to do so. You don't see
many computers sold retail without Windows. They are hard to find,
and offer a limited choice.

You have three choices: pay for the product, nothing wrong with that; use
an alternative, nothing wrong with that; or steal a copy of Windows and
then run around whining about MS. Frank Herbert once wrote something
similiar to, 'we despise those we have wronged' and I have found it
generally to be true.

Tom Scales

Al Smith said:
I wish I had your determination. I took a long look at Mandrake but
finally upgraded to Windows XP. I feel like such a Micro-slut. On the plus
side, I stuck with my oath to never pay Microsoft another dollar as long
as I draw breath. I haven't violated that oath in six years, and counting.

So, you stole XP? If you haven't paid in six years, and XP hasn't been out
that long.....

Mac Cool

Then there's the other school of thought, that the OS is
only licensed if they have that certificate. Once upon a
time they mostly distributed the certificate as a real
certificate, but now a sticker on the case most often.
That's great for keeping track of it, but becomes
problematic if user changes cases but overall system remains
same. If MS argues that the case is the system, so be it,
but then some will want to build a different system in the
case.

It's like all systems, rarely are they perfect but until someone invents a
viable alternative that solves the same problems, then the current system
will likely continue. MS sells to a wide range of customers, requiring a
variety of licensing schemes that are fair to BOTH the customer and MS.

CBFalconer

Mac said:
Al Smith:

You have three choices: pay for the product, nothing wrong with that;
use an alternative, nothing wrong with that; or steal a copy of
Windows and then run around whining about MS. Frank Herbert once
wrote something similiar to, 'we despise those we have wronged' and I
have found it generally to be true.

ROTFLLMAO at the very idea of MS being wronged. 'Tis a consumation
devoutly to be wished.

jd

Dan said:
I'm looking for a PC w/at least a 3.4Mhz processor, 1
Gig RAM, 128 Meg Vid. RAM and 80 gig hard drive. A 2nd 10k RPM 80 gig
HD would be nice but I think it'd be cheaper to by that on aftermarket
& install it. I'd also want a 17 or 18" LCD. I'm looking to spend
$1400ish.

what the hell! what happened to the op? 54 posts of build your own and
amd vs intel! listen dan, get your dell. it's a fine deal and you can
probably get it for under fourteen hundred dollars from them. full
warranty, tech support,6 months free internet, the whole she-bang.
although that lcd may cost ya, if you wait for the right time(much of
the time these days)dell throws one in at no extra cost. the size
depends on the system you choose. for a machine with the above
mentioned specs, it would be a seventeen inch :)

kony

Al Smith:

You have three choices: pay for the product, nothing wrong with that; use
an alternative, nothing wrong with that; or steal a copy of Windows and
then run around whining about MS. Frank Herbert once wrote something
similiar to, 'we despise those we have wronged' and I have found it
generally to be true.

That's a bit presumptuous?
Plenty of people who pay for windows in one way or another
aren't particularly happy either.

IsaacKuo

BobR said:
To answer some other posts;
Yeah, Linux ain't the easiest to install, but, I think us newbies have put a
bug in the GNU ear and they are working on making a push-button
install.

Recent Linux distributions are really easy to install (except for
the purposefully geeky "hardcore" distributions). LiveCD distributions
like Knoppix can even be run directly off of the CD. The only button
you need to push to "install" is the CD drive button (and not even
that if your optical drive is a slot loader). Windows has never been
so easy to install!

If nothing else, Knoppix and other liveCDs make life a LOT nicer
for a technician working on a Windows PC when the OS gets fubar'd.
Without even opening up the case, you can pop in a working OS and
get at data; transfer it over the net; download drivers; whatever...

For me, Knoppix is worth if for QTParted alone. It's a Partition
Magic clone. I have long simply lived without a decent partitioning
utility because I neither wanted to spend the money on Partition
Magic nor did I want to pirate it.

I would heartily recommend dual booting Windows/Linux for anyone
who is currently used to Windows but who also likes to tinker with
his computer. You literally have nothing to lose, and it's fun to
play around with. The biggest difference in the Linux experience
is software installation--it's such a breeze compared to Windows
and you DON'T have to deal with nagware/crippleware pop-ups or
restrictions. There are just so many nice little utilities in
Windows which are nice but not spend-the-$20-shareware-fee nice.
It takes a little while getting used to the Linux software world
where virtually all of those nice little utilities are of the
freeware--just-install-it-and-that's-it-it-just-works-no-strings-attached
variety. Once you get used to it, though, it's hard to go back to
Windows.

Isaac Kuo

Al Smith

You have three choices: pay for the product, nothing wrong with that; use
an alternative, nothing wrong with that; or steal a copy of Windows and
then run around whining about MS. Frank Herbert once wrote something
similiar to, 'we despise those we have wronged' and I have found it
generally to be true.

Frank Herbert got the cart before the horse. You're more apt to
wrong someone you dispise. This doesn't apply to large
corporations, which wrong people to make greater profits.

Al Smith

I wish I had your determination. I took a long look at Mandrake but
So, you stole XP? If you haven't paid in six years, and XP hasn't been out
that long.....

I looked at it this way. Microsoft pissed me off so royally, I
vowed never to give them another dime. On the other hand,
Microsoft was forcing me to upgrade by phasing out Windows 98 and
phasing in Windows XP. I tested out Linux and found it wasn't
ready for the desktop. What were my choices?

Mac Cool

kony:
That's a bit presumptuous?
Plenty of people who pay for windows in one way or another
aren't particularly happy either.

I was aiming my comment specifically at Al who justifies stealing because
he was 'pissed off'. Sure, there were lots of reasons to be pissed off
back in 95/98 days because those were defective products IMO and quite
frankly I could care less if people bitch but it starts chapping my ass
when people just make shit up to bitch about.