Need New PC recommendations/info

Dan

I'm looking for a PC w/at least a 3.4Mhz processor, 1
Gig RAM, 128 Meg Vid. RAM and 80 gig hard drive. A 2nd 10k RPM 80 gig
HD would be nice but I think it'd be cheaper to by that on aftermarket
& install it. I'd also want a 17 or 18" LCD. I'm looking to spend
$1400ish.

The machine will be used for surfing, VHS video capture to transfer to
DVDR w/some light video editing and maybe some gaming. My main concern
is that I'm disabled and want to use Dragon Dictate to
navigate/control windows as well as dictate. On my current 1Mhz Dell
w/360k RAM Dragon isn't very fast when using it to navigate Win 2k.
Its pretty good but I'd want something faster if I were to use DD all
the time. Based on my usage, do the specs I'm looking for sound
appropriate? Any idea if Dragon would work better w/less RAM but a
faster processor or vise-versa? I ask because of tradeoffs I may have
to make due to lo budget.

Also, what's the best chipset to look for or is it very important? And
is XP Home
or XP Pro the better OS?
At Dell.com I can get a system w/
3.40GHz, 800FSB,
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (4x256M)
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write
17 in 1704FPT Ultrasharp™ Digital Flat Panel Display
128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE
for $1408.00 w/free shipping. I've shopped around a lot and it seems
like
a good deal. I'd love to be able to build my own at sites like
sysbuilder.com
or cpusolutions.com but they seem a bit pricey.

Sorry for rambling. Thanks for your help!

Dan
(e-mail address removed)
Remove NOSPAM from address when replying

John

[...]

Id say AMD since Im an AMD booster like most here but since you are
disable I think you should go for a DELL package. Someone else asked
about it and when I looked it up last week or so there were deals at
DELL with rebates and discounts - a $1700 system down to 1400 which
had a 17 LCD , 6800 (excellent card - I have it) for gaming and 1 gig
of ram. Obviously with dells you can change the options a lot -
forget what the size of the HD was 120-160 gig or so in that price
range.

OF course Im not even sure that deal is going on since they change all
the time.
Also, what's the best chipset to look for or is it very important? And
is XP Home
or XP Pro the better OS?
At Dell.com I can get a system w/
3.40GHz, 800FSB,
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (4x256M)
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write
17 in 1704FPT Ultrasharp™ Digital Flat Panel Display
128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE
for $1408.00 w/free shipping. I've shopped around a lot and it seems
like
a good deal. I'd love to be able to build my own at sites like
sysbuilder.com
or cpusolutions.com but they seem a bit pricey.

Well unless they stopped the 15% discount and rebates you should be
able to get the 6800. Ill take a look. If not you might want to wait a
bit.

As for Dragon - always been meaning to try it out but never have so I
have no idea if memory makes a big difference. I think a better CPU
would have a big impact.

Im not sure about video editing either. I tried several programs but
havent really formed a definite preference yet. Im going to do that
again and experiment with raid configs , different HDs etc and see
what the optimal solution is at the lowest cost. I noticed some
editing systems sold are dual CPU systems. For me -- Pinnacle was
super easy to use but crash prone and horrendously slow at some tasks.
I briefly tried Vegas and others but didnt like the interfaces. Im
going to try them again including Final Cut Pro which I hope combines
ease of use and power.

Mac Cool

Dan:
is XP Home or XP Pro the better OS?

Home is a lite version of Pro. The MS website is the best resource for
deciding which version you want.
At Dell.com I can get a system w/
3.40GHz, 800FSB,
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (4x256M)
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write
17 in 1704FPT UltrasharpT Digital Flat Panel Display
128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE
for $1408.00 w/free shipping. I've shopped around a lot and it seems
like a good deal. I'd love to be able to build my own at sites like
sysbuilder.com or cpusolutions.com but they seem a bit pricey.

It's unlikely you will find a cheaper price than Dell.

-Avery Anderson

I'm no expert but I don't think it makes any difference which you use for a
home system. I've been using xp home on this laptop for 3 years and haven't
run into anything i wanted to do that it couldn't do, so I'd say go with
home just to save money.

Dell computers are reliable and cheap, a winning combination. I bought one
from them, and their support was excellent. I doubt the few bucks you may
save elsewhere dealing with lessor outfits would off set the secuity you get
from Dell. Also, if you do go with Dell, I'd get the longest warranty they
sell. When the hard drive failed they sent a replacement that was larger
than the one that broke. I called about it and they told me to just install
it because they no longer stocked the smaller ones.

Avery

jameshanley39

some posts have said Dell's tech support is now crap. So with that
benefit out the window(if it really is that bad), you may as well get
one build.
Loads of ppl now know how to build computers. People in the street!

JAD

<<Loads of ppl now know how to build computers. People in the street!

<<Dell computers are reliable and cheap, a winning combination. I bought
one
<<from them, and their support was excellent.

Somewhere a solution that falls between these extreme posts exists.

I too am disabled and although at this time I am able to use a keyboard, the
future may be different. I also have built many custom systems for the
disabled. The most important thing here is your control, then everything
else. For voice recognition its your MIC and soundcard. Not that your have
to invest tons of money in them, but a little concern with clock stability
is in order. Some mainboards with integrated sound don't measure up. Mic and
headsets are rated for dictation and voice recognition. The dragon site has
some requirement pages and product recommendations.

HTH

Mac Cool

some posts have said Dell's tech support is now crap. So with that
benefit out the window(if it really is that bad), you may as well get

I used their tech support a few months ago, it was an Indian who spoke
clearer English than many Americans I meet. The phone was answered in a
timely manner, never kept me on hold for more than 30 seconds and I didn't
have to navigate hellish phone menus. He was polite, helpful and as
knowledgable as you could reasonably expect. I'm sure they have bad apples
like any company but my experience was positive.

Mac Cool

-Avery Anderson:
I'm no expert but I don't think it makes any difference which you use
for a home system. I've been using xp home on this laptop for 3
years and haven't run into anything i wanted to do that it couldn't
do, so I'd say go with home just to save money.

It really depends. I went from XP Pro to Home when I changed systems. Pro
was just better for multiple users. Home is OK, but I have to give
everyone administrator access or else some programs will not run. My
daughter cannot even play her Dr. Suess games or use her drawing tablet
without administrator access.

BobR

Mac Cool wrote in message ...
Dan:

Home is a lite version of Pro. The MS website is the best resource for
deciding which version you want.

Linux is $0.00!!!
[ the CDs will cost you $15.us ]

Pentium 4 with motherboard - $200.us

$150.us approx. (2x512M. (depends on stinkin' rebates))

$50.us (Seagate or WD (rebates again))

$40.us (CRT) ($130.us - 19")

Non-Leading edge cards, approx $75.us
It's unlikely you will find a cheaper price than Dell.

Tower case with 350watt power(atx) $40.us

total - $605.us
+ $100.us ($50.us per hour x 2 hours to put it all together.)(pay yourself!)
+ $15.us for Debian GNU/Linux OS (comes with 8000+ free software packages)

== $720.us
[ prices from Fry's, CyberGuys, CyberGeeks, etc.]

That's cheaper than Dell! <G>
If the OP can't use a screwdriver, the Dell is a good deal!

Fry's has/had some 'weaker' machines for $200.us! (Lindows OS)

[ sorry, I couldn't resist! "the devil made me do it". ]
Bob R
POVrookie

Tom Scales

--
MinGW (GNU compiler): http://www.mingw.org/
Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/

Cheaper than Dell when you replace the LCD with a CRT, replace the PCI-e
video card with a $75 generic, etc. etc.

A Toyota Echo is cheaper than a Mercedes S500, but so ?

Tom

Matt Merkey

Dan said:
[...]

If you try to build your own system, Intel is going to be more
expensive. Pretty much every home-builder I know uses AMD for the simple
reason that their CPU's are cheaper at retail prices. AMD seems to be
more standards friendly as well, which tends to make their motherboards
cheaper. That Dell system you have listed would be perfectly fine for
Dragon Dictate. As far as the XP Home vs. XP Pro debate, it's about
networking. If you don't have a network, or just have one PC, XP Home is
all you need. If you needed to save money, you could probably scale back
the CPU a bit.

jameshanley39

Mac said:
get

I used their tech support a few months ago, it was an Indian who spoke
clearer English than many Americans I meet. The phone was answered in a
timely manner, never kept me on hold for more than 30 seconds and I didn't
have to navigate hellish phone menus. He was polite, helpful and as
knowledgable as you could reasonably expect. I'm sure they have bad apples
like any company but my experience was positive.

there is also a general prob with telephone tech support - the hardware
prob, proven either by swapping hw or reinstalling everything.

Al Smith

some posts have said Dell's tech support is now crap. So with that
benefit out the window(if it really is that bad), you may as well get
one build.
Loads of ppl now know how to build computers. People in the street!

One of the big advantages of building your own computer is that
you don't need to pay the Microsoft tax. That was a main reason I
built my own last time. I'm tired of sending my money to
Microsoft, so I decided not to do it anymore.

Steve

Al Smith said:
One of the big advantages of building your own computer is that you don't
need to pay the Microsoft tax. That was a main reason I built my own last
time. I'm tired of sending my money to Microsoft, so I decided not to do
it anymore.

Just because you build your own computer does not mean
you still do not purchase a Microsoft operating system.
I have built many computers and I purchased windows.
Linux has it's uses..but I can't play they games that I play
Doom 3, FarCry, Hal Life on Linux. So I have no choice
to use windows.

Steve

Mac Cool

Al Smith:
One of the big advantages of building your own computer is that
you don't need to pay the Microsoft tax. That was a main reason I
built my own last time. I'm tired of sending my money to
Microsoft, so I decided not to do it anymore.

One has nothing to do with the other and buying MS products is a choice
not tied to prebuilt systems. I used to have the direct link to buy Dells
without an operating system, but a quick look in my bookmarks didn't find
it.

Mac Cool

BobR:
Linux is $0.00!!!
[ the CDs will cost you $15.us ]

True, assuming it works with the hardware you choose, assuming you have
the time and aptitude to learn how to use it.
Pentium 4 with motherboard - $200.us
279+125=$404

$150.us approx. (2x512M. (depends on stinkin' rebates))
$142

$50.us (Seagate or WD (rebates again))

I don't know what the OP spec'd out but the default hard drive on Dell's ~
$1400 machine is 250GB, not 80GB.

$168

I think you're on the cheap side but I'll give you this one.
$40.us (CRT) ($130.us - 19")

Comes with 19" LCD
$399
Non-Leading edge cards, approx $75.us

I can live with $75
Tower case with 350watt power(atx) $40.us
$91

total - $605.us

$1329 shipped, sans software

Al Smith

One of the big advantages of building your own computer is that you don't
Just because you build your own computer does not mean
you still do not purchase a Microsoft operating system.
I have built many computers and I purchased windows.
Linux has it's uses..but I can't play they games that I play
Doom 3, FarCry, Hal Life on Linux. So I have no choice
to use windows.

Steve

If you already own a full retail copy of Windows XP, you can
legally transfer it from one computer to another. Why buy a
computer with an OEM version of Windows if you've already got Windows?

Ogden Johnson III

If you already own a full retail copy of Windows XP, you can
legally transfer it from one computer to another. Why buy a
computer with an OEM version of Windows if you've already got Windows?

Depends on what is happening with the "old" computer.

If one is keeping it [for spouse, offspring, resident MIL, or as
one's own second, third, or whatever computer], one will still
need an OS for it.

If one is selling it, how easy is it to find buyers for an
OS-less computer that one cannot, legally, even demonstrate works
after one has put Windows into the new one? Strident as they
are, linux users are still a rather small minority of computer
users. And even those will want to see that the old box they're
buying still works.

Only if one is salvaging components from the old one, and
trashing the rest is a need for an OS eliminated.

Or, if the old computer came with OEM Win9x, WinME, whatever, one
can reinstall the old Windows version and hope someone buys into
getting WinME [spit!, even 3.1 would be preferable] or Win9x.

At least that's how it looks to me.

[Who had to include the retail copy of XPPro that I bought for it
with the old Dimension L733r I just sold, because the buyer was
too smart to let me stick him with the WinME that the L733r
originally came with.]

Steve

Ogden Johnson III said:
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51113&item=5157803084&rd=1

Computers without operating systems sell by 1000's or more a year
on eBay.
Plus you don't even see it person before you buy it, only a picture
and description.

Steve

S.Lewis

Steve said:
Ogden Johnson III said:
Al Smith said:
[...]

And, legal or not (and I doubt ebay would allow it listed if Microsoft had a
problem with it) there are dozens, perhaps 100's of systems on ebay at any
given time that have an MS OS installed but the auction includes no OS or
software CD's. Those units are probably or near equal in number to used
systems over there sold with no OS - usually only tower, keyboard, and
mouse.

Stew