Need Help with 'Memory Leaks'

My computer has given me many warnings that I have many
software programs that have memory leaks and that this
will slow down my computer and make me have less memory on
my PC. I also need to speed up my computer. It is running
alot slower than normal - although I have been getting rid
of huge amounts of spyware, hijacker, adware, etc. I have
downloaded many spyware software programs to help which
they have done but other programs I download will get rid
of more. Sometimes 1000s more. Help Please!!!!! I have
been up for days trying to get all of this figured out!!

Bob M.

Programs with memory leaks have poorly
written code and are usually free or dirt cheap.
I would advise you not to use them if you
are concerned about memory leaks.

how am I to tell which ones have memory leaks. It never
sspecifies where the memory leaks are. It stated that I
need a high-performance memory manager which would recover
memory leaks and restore performance. I don't have money
at the moment but I don't want my computer to suffer.

Jik Lob

how am I to tell which ones have memory leaks. It never
sspecifies where the memory leaks are. It stated that I
need a high-performance memory manager which would recover
memory leaks and restore performance. I don't have money
at the moment but I don't want my computer to suffer.

You would need to monitor used memory for an application (Process) in Task
Manager. If a Process memory usage keeps going up and up - then you have a
memory leak -

Alex Nichol

how am I to tell which ones have memory leaks. It never
sspecifies where the memory leaks are. It stated that I
need a high-performance memory manager which would recover
memory leaks and restore performance. I don't have money
at the moment but I don't want my computer to suffer.

I suspect that what you are seeing is a scam advert. It pretends to
have made some measurements (it hasn't) and is trying to get you to buy
a program that will do nothing for you (except tell that advert that
things are good now). It may even generate trouble. There are several
such around. In general, do not use *any* program that claims to
'manage' or 'free up' memory.

To check properly, right click in the Task Bar and take Task Manager.
In that look at the Processes page. In its View - Select columns,
select 'Memory Usage' and 'Memory usage Delta' (the change from one
check to the next - a few seconds - and watch that now and again, for
items that are using steadily more and more memory. And my guess is
that there won't be any

Carrie Garth

| <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | My computer has given me many warnings that I have many
| software programs that have memory leaks and that this
| will slow down my computer and make me have less memory
| on my PC. <SNIP>

Hmmm... If by writing "My computer" you mean your Operating
System then I am not sure what to make of that. As it is I have
never heard of Microsoft Windows XP giving a warning (with a
popup dialog box, etc.) that (presumably 3rd party applications
since the WinXP built-in applications are free of this problem)
have memory leaks...

If it is not too much trouble please reply with the an explanation
of this message. For example:

-- The message is contained in the (select one):
- Event Viewer log
- A Dialog Box
- In a browser window
- Other (please explain)

-- The exact wording of the message is...
- Please include all of the words and the title of the container

-- My computer is (select one):
- A home-built computer
- A ready-made manufactured one such as a Dell

-- If you have you installed (or your computer come installed with)
a 3rd party program that monitor performance, the exact name
and version of that program is....

BTW, the following Web Site has links to a good many resources
that explain how to detect memory leaks.

Windows 2000 Troubleshooting Memory Leaks
http://labmice.techtarget.com/troubleshooting/memoryleaks.htm

Jik Lob

Carrie Garth said:
| <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | My computer has given me many warnings that I have many
| software programs that have memory leaks and that this
| will slow down my computer and make me have less memory
| on my PC. <SNIP>

Hmmm... If by writing "My computer" you mean your Operating
System then I am not sure what to make of that. As it is I have
never heard of Microsoft Windows XP giving a warning (with a
popup dialog box, etc.) that (presumably 3rd party applications
since the WinXP built-in applications are free of this problem)
have memory leaks...

If it is not too much trouble please reply with the an explanation
of this message. For example:

-- The message is contained in the (select one):
- Event Viewer log
- A Dialog Box
- In a browser window
- Other (please explain)

-- The exact wording of the message is...
- Please include all of the words and the title of the container

-- My computer is (select one):
- A home-built computer
- A ready-made manufactured one such as a Dell

-- If you have you installed (or your computer come installed with)
a 3rd party program that monitor performance, the exact name
and version of that program is....

BTW, the following Web Site has links to a good many resources
that explain how to detect memory leaks.

Windows 2000 Troubleshooting Memory Leaks
http://labmice.techtarget.com/troubleshooting/memoryleaks.htm

this could actually be a virus

J. S. Sigler

WinPatrol can be downloaded at
http://www.download.com/WinPatrol/3000-8022-10289770.html it can help
you find and get rid of worms, adware, spyware, cookies, Trojan
horses, and other nasty programs that may attack your computer. You
will need a little technical experience to use it. If you are unsure
if a program or active task is a virus or spyware just look them up on
Google. It can take some time but you can use it to clean out stuff
the "automatic" systems don't.

Where do they come from? Sometimes freely downloadable software comes
with spyware which it installs without your knowledge. The majority
of spyware is acquired just by using Internet Explorer. IE is very
open to gathering spyware and viruses.

By way of example, I'm an
Internet Tech with a major National ISP here in the US. A customer
was having problems with Internet Explorer crashing at a certain web
site. I went to the site to see what may have been causing the
problem. Netscape opened it with no problems so I tried it with
Internet Explorer because it's what the customer was using. Internet
Explorer hit the site, Norton Antivirus told me that it caught two
viruses and I got spyware pop-ups all over the screen. I just
unplugged the PC and then turned it back on. I had 5 viruses (3 that
Norton did not even catch) and 8 pieces of spyware. Spybot, Ad-aware,
and Pest Patrol all failed to remove them. I was able to use
WinPatrol to find them and get the viruses and spyware cleared out,
which took a few 5 hours.

Now when someone asks me how to keep from getting viruses and spyware
I tell them if they use Microsoft Windows don't use Internet Explorer!

Useful Links:
- Spyware info from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp
- Microsoft info on Computer viruses:
description, prevention, and recovery:
http://support.microsoft.com/security/articles/viruses.asp
- Netscape 7.1 on CD: (Windows 98-XP)
http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/cPath/13/products_id/14
- IE6sp1 With Updates & Tools: (Windows 98-XP)
http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/46
- Internet Explorer 5.5 service pack 2 (SP2): (Windows 95-2000)
http://on-disk.com/ie55sp2.html

Windows 95 Links:
- Bring the older Windows 95 computer up to speed:
http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/33
- Windows Updates, IE5.5sp2, Firewall, Antivirus,
Spyware removal and monitoring:
http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/45
- Webpath.US, ISP with ongoing support for Windows 95
http://www.webpath.us

Harry Ohrn

When you say "My computer has given me many warnings..............." can you
be more specific about how your computer gives you these warnings. There
really is no built in program that gives that specific message so either you
are paraphrasing the messages you are seeing or their is a third party
application running that is telling you this. If you are paraphrasing it
will be more helpful if we know the exact message. If this is a third party
application can you give us the name of the app that is monitoring your
system?

Does anyone else think that the information given to me in
this reply might be a virus?? I don't know! I do know that
is alot of information to be given out and I have never
seen any relpies that asked for this much info. Please
respond ASAP. I am not going to do anything with this
message or make any aplications or respond to this until I
get more opinions. Please help!!!!!!!!!!