Need help formatting external hard drive

Reaction score
Hi.

I just wanted to ask a question about this external hard drive I've just bought.

It's 60GB drive. When I bought it it was empty/new and had 58GB on it.

I've been using it to back up my PC, I have just deleted everything on it so I could do a new back up.

It's empty and it's now 50GB!!!

I'm not sure why really. I tried to format it again, but it's not letting me.

.....when I right click on the Hard drive and select 'format' the computer tells me I can't format it because there are other windows open on the monitor (which there aren't).

What's the best to why to format an external hard drive?

Your help is much appreciated!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Win XP ??

(right-click) My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > (right-click) the external drive and select "Format" > Choose whether you want ... ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
Cheers muckshifter

Yes it's Windows XP.

I've done what you suggested, but it's coming up with the following message when I right click 'format'

'Primary partition is currently in use. To force format of this volume, click yes.
WARNING: Forcing a format might cause unexpected errors in the application that is using this volume. Do you want to conitinue?'

Is this a normal message when formatting a hard drive? I don't want to wreck my hard drive.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Click Yes ... you will not wreck the HD.

:thumb:

Reaction score
thanks very much for your help muckshifter.

I do find it puzzling why people advertise a hard drive as being '60GB' as only 55.8 of it is useable. (If I'd known that then I would have bought a bigger drive)

muckshifter

Reaction score
mojouk said:
thanks very much for your help muckshifter.

I do find it puzzling why people advertise a hard drive as being '60GB' as only 55.8 of it is useable. (If I'd known that then I would have bought a bigger drive)
It is a numbers 'game' that they have played for years ... ;)

Ask a Question