Need Good Power Supply to fit old case?!

Johanna

I need advice.

I'm upgrading my PC. It's only 2 years old, but I need more power.
Currently my PC has a sub-300 Watt power supply. I would like to
upgrade and get a 400-500 watt power supply. However, the units I've
looked at have a depth greater than 4.5 inches, which is about the
maximum depth that a power supply for my current case can contain.

So I need advice.
1) Does anyone know of high wattage power supply that has a small
depth: around 4.5 inches?

2) Another possibility is to move my computer innards to a new bigger
computer case. However, I'm looking into purchasing an entirely new
computer probably in 1-2 years, so I probably wouldn't want to go thru
such a huge effort. Although, I've never done such a thing, so can
anyone tell me if it is a huge effort?

3) What about using external power supplies like the "XG Magnum 600"?
Would anyone suggest using these? Does anyone know of any other good
"external" power supplies?
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/299

4) Any other advice?

Thanks!!
Hi
1) No, don't know that, but I am sure somebody else does. Perhaps check
the sites for mini systems like the Shuttle? They will not be able to
accomodate a large PSU and perhaps they might fit in your case. Search
google/clusty etc.

2) Upgrading the case could be a nice project, and in theory it is not
difficult. You would need to take off all components from the
motherboard though, and put them back correctly after having mounted the
motherboard to the new case. This may lead to problems if you get
confused (e.g. first time problems). You'd have to be careful and take
your time. Buy a case that comes with some instructions so that you are
not entirely on your own. I'd set aside a weekend afternoon at the very
least, so it comes down to whether it is worth the time for you.
Connecting LEDS and frontpanel functionality to the old motherboard is
another challenge. However, I can do this without having had any formal
training, or being even half as technical as some people in this
newsgroup. I am sure you could do it, and it is a handy skill to have
for the future.

3) External powersupply - sounds clunky and inconvenient. I would not
consider that. It will be no use to you when you do upgrade your system.

Hope this helps
Jo

mr_nice_1973

[...]

JamesG

2) Another possibility is to move my computer innards to a new bigger
computer case. However, I'm looking into purchasing an entirely new
computer probably in 1-2 years, so I probably wouldn't want to go thru
such a huge effort. Although, I've never done such a thing, so can
anyone tell me if it is a huge effort?

This is not a huge effort but it could be an aggravating experience if
you don't pay attention to what you are doing. If you take good notes
when unhooking things in the old case it should not be very difficult
to move it to a new case. This could also be good practice if you want
to just upgrade with a new motherboard, cpu, RAM in this new big case
in the future. A while back I put my old components in a new big case
since I was installing a drive anyway and eventually planned on
building a new computer. When I decided to build a new computer it was
not much of a stretch from when I moved into the new case so I had more
confidence and things worked out fine for the new computer and my
rebuilt old computer that I sold.
I am not sure of your other questions so you should look through PS
specs for dimensions.

Good Luck,
James

Paul

[...]

If I download a spec for an ATX supply from the formfactors.org
web site, it lists the dimensions of the metal box as

150mm (W) x 86mm (H) x 140mm (D) or 5.9" x 3.4" x 5.5"

That is 1" deeper than the number you quote of 4.5".

This "Powmax" is an example of a microATX supply.

http://www.powmax.com/pics/power/6100AA.htm

It is 5"Wx2.5H"x4"D. That is short enough to meet your
depth spec, but that particular supply is rated for
300W.

This SFX is 5.9" x 3.4" x 4" and the power level is weak.
Dimensions are OK but still no winner.

http://www.superpower.com/proddetail.asp?ID=141

My suspicion is, if the form factor is shorter than
the ATX 5.5", then the power will be 300W or less.
A figure of merit in power supply design, is volumetric
efficiency. That is watts per cubic inch. When you
shrink the case size down, the max power you can get
also shrinks in proportion. This is not done out of
meanness, it is just the combination of being cost
competitive and using the same technology as the
other manufacturers. If you had $500 to spend, then
someone could undoubtedly make you a power supply that
had better density.

I guess my next question, would be what part of your
PSU lacks power ? This device, for example, is a 12V @ 25A
supply, that sits in a disk drive bay. It has two 40mm
fans for ventilation. The AC cord comes out through a
PCI slot adapter. The 12V power is in the form of
two PCI Express video card connectors. This unit has
automatic power on detection, and I think you plug a Molex
disk drive connector from the main PSU into this unit,
so the Booster can tell when it should turn on.

Fortron Source BoosterX 3, 300W SLI Graphic Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104019
http://www.home2000.net/client/fspgroupusacom/images/X3SPC.pdf

Maybe someone else will find a supply with better power
density to meet your requirement. There are a hell of a
lot of PSU companies out there, and with their poor advertising
skills, there could well be some good supplies out there
that nobody knows about.

Good luck,
Paul

Michael Hawes

Paul said:
[...]

If you have a micro-ATX case you may not be able to use the more
powerful CPUs and video cards without it overheating.
Mike

VanShania

Don't know how much you want to spend on a power supply, but you can pick up
an Antec Sonata II with a 450 watt power supply for $140CDN. This case
should be good for any future power supply upgrades in case your thinking
about using SLI and lots of drives, sound cards, tuner cards etc. Course you
could just get the best now instead of constantly upgrading power supplies.
Vid cards in the future will require 130 watts, so SLI will need 260 just
for vid cards. Plan for the future and save some cash.

--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse.

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 128mb
MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb Dual Channel OCZ
2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
XPMCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, SP:WAW

DaveW

It sounds like your computer case is a non-standard proprietary design. You
need a new case if you plan on installing a standard current PSU.

VanShania

Antec Performance One P180 Silver Super ATX Mid Tower Case $184.84
Antec Performance One P180B Black Super ATX Mid Tower Case $189.84
OCZ GameXStream 700W SLi Power Supply $188.84
Enermax 620w Liberty Power Supply $195.84
The cases have 6 X 3.5 bays, 4 X 5.25 bays, and can have 5 120mm fans(3
standard).
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81802

--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse.
No such thing as Bad Kids. Only Bad Parents.
Friends don't turn friends on to drugs.
The path often thought about and sometimes chosen by abused children as
adults is Suicide. Be a real friend.

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 128mb
MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb Dual Channel OCZ
2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
XPMCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, SP:WAW

John Doe

VanShania said:
Don't know how much you want to spend on a power supply, but you
can pick up an Antec Sonata II with a 450 watt power supply for
$140CDN. This case should be good for any future power supply
upgrades in case your thinking about using SLI and lots of drives,
sound cards, tuner cards etc. Course you could just get the best
now instead of constantly upgrading power supplies. Vid cards in
the future will require 130 watts, so SLI will need 260 just for
vid cards. Plan for the future and save some cash.

Unfortunately, planning for the future isn't so easy. For example,
they might change the connector specifications tomorrow and your
over powerful supply will be stuck on your old system.

VanShania

you worry too much

--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse.
No such thing as Bad Kids. Only Bad Parents.
Friends don't turn friends on to drugs.
The path often thought about and sometimes chosen by abused children as
adults is Suicide. Be a real friend.

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 128mb
MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb Dual Channel OCZ
2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
XP MCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, winSPWW2, winSPMBT

John Doe

Troll

From: "VanShania" <rvans mts.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt