Need for Speed: Underground - catalyst 4.2

Nathan

I have the 9600xt and ever since I updated my drivers to catalyst 4.2 my
screen would turn black if I turned on any of the display features such as
light trails or motion blur in NFS: Underground. I would see my tach,
speedometer, map of where the cars are and the place I'm in, but the main
display is black. I need to fiddle with the settings in order for me to
actually see the screen again.

On a good note, though, Medal of Honor doesn't lock up anymore when playing
multiplayer. ;-)

Joachim Trensz

Nathan said:
I have the 9600xt and ever since I updated my drivers to catalyst 4.2 my
screen would turn black if I turned on any of the display features such as
light trails or motion blur in NFS: Underground. I would see my tach,
speedometer, map of where the cars are and the place I'm in, but the main
display is black. I need to fiddle with the settings in order for me to
actually see the screen again.

On a good note, though, Medal of Honor doesn't lock up anymore when playing
multiplayer. ;-)

I've read a review the other day where the 4.2 were very slow in NFS
Underground if I remember that correctly. Maybe the 4.2 don't work so
well with that game.

Achim

+CrimsonLiar

On a 9800XT NFSU is certainly not slow, oh oh what eye-candy.

One point though, I cant use the auto-update it totally messes up my video
for some reason (yes i did turn of AV), where downloading the patch and
installing works fine.

CrimsonLiar

Joachim Trensz

+CrimsonLiar said:
On a 9800XT NFSU is certainly not slow, oh oh what eye-candy.

One point though, I cant use the auto-update it totally messes up my video
for some reason (yes i did turn of AV), where downloading the patch and
installing works fine.

The 4.2 were relatively slow as compared to other CAT drivers (CAT 3.10
or 4.1 I think were the ones they compared them).

Achim

Asestar

May depend on system to system. On my new-built "aging" system, Duron 1300,
radeon8500le 64, pc133 512mb ram Cat4.2 were faster than both 3.10 and 3.7,
also omega 4.1. And that's on nfsu-.

+CrimsonLiar

Depends on whats considered slow, im running a 9800XT with an Athlon XP3200+
(400 FSB) with full eyecandy @ 1280x1024 2xFSAA and 8xAnistropic and
acording to FRAPS its coming in at around 70FPS. Fast nuff for me :)

CrimsonLiar

Joachim Trensz

Asestar said:
May depend on system to system. On my new-built "aging" system, Duron 1300,
radeon8500le 64, pc133 512mb ram Cat4.2 were faster than both 3.10 and 3.7,
also omega 4.1. And that's on nfsu-.

Interesting. For me, they were a tad slower in Lock On (Lomac) than the
3.10, but very smooth in high mountains where especially the 3.7 used to
produce some stutter despite higher _indicated_ fps.

Achim

Asestar

Yepp true there. In 3.xx series you get often high fps in games and most
benches, but the games were a bit coppy and not smooth.
While 4.2 never give very high peak fps(like 3.xx) but the average is much
better. Hence most games runs smoother. Good job ati.

Joachim Trensz

Asestar said:
May depend on system to system. On my new-built "aging" system, Duron 1300,
radeon8500le 64, pc133 512mb ram Cat4.2 were faster than both 3.10 and 3.7,
also omega 4.1. And that's on nfsu-.

That test bed system was based on an XP3000 AFAIR.

Achim

Villa

Joachim Trensz said:
I've read a review the other day where the 4.2 were very slow in NFS
Underground if I remember that correctly. Maybe the 4.2 don't work so
well with that game.

Achim

I've seen some articles about that.. and unfortunelly, i've seen that
on my machine.. nfsu performance really slowed down by half...
My question... In cases like that.. ATI should distribute another
version of drivers or eagames should send a patch.. ?

JLC

Villa said:
Joachim Trensz <[email protected]> wrote in message

I've seen some articles about that.. and unfortunelly, i've seen that
on my machine.. nfsu performance really slowed down by half...
My question... In cases like that.. ATI should distribute another
version of drivers or eagames should send a patch.. ?

Did you change any game settings or did you notice the lose after you
installed the new drivers? I ask because I get 45-50FPS with 4x AA 4xtri
Aniso at 1024x768 will all in game setting set to high, except car models
which is medium. I'm running the 4.2 drivers. There's two setting that bring
the game done to 15FPS. These are the motion blur and light trails. Are you
sure you don't have these turned on?