Need advise: is AVG the most popular freeware AV?

Markku V.

No, I am certainly not in any relation to the site mentioned. I have
just found their tests quite profound when compared to many other
tests.

Markku Virtanen

Franklin

I have long since abandoned AVG for the reason of its on-going
and continual difficulties of reaching its server for updates.
After installing AVAST, I have been pleased with the reliably
near-daily updates, as well as periodic newer versions. All with
pleasant vocal announcements (which can be silenced). I would
say:

AVG is a decent antivirus client, provided one can get
consistent updates.

AVAST is more than decent. It has proved reliable, fast, and
helpful.

There was a workaround for AVG updates which involved putting a
line in the HOST file. This extra line redirected communications
to one of AVGs better servers (possibly for AVG Pro users). It
worked very well for me pretty much every single time.

Don't know if it's still possible or if AVG now identify the
program type on your PC.

I recall early AVG 6 and the Akmai server network using corrupt
updates on some servers. It took me a long time to convince AVG
that there was anything wrong. Phew! Not again.

---

Yes, AVAST is a good product and ISTR the update download is quite
small and connectivity is rarely an issue.

Meanwhile ANTIVIR seem never ever to have had enough server
bandwidth. The update nonsenses which ANTIVIR makes you go
through are its #1 main drawback. We should all ask for our money
back! :)

Franklin

Why such a modest demand?

Proposed new slogan for ACF: Satisfaction guaranteed or *double*
your money back.

triple your money back. . .

quadruple. . .

. . . ;)

And with interest! :)

Susan Bugher

Franklin said:
Meanwhile ANTIVIR seem never ever to have had enough server
bandwidth. The update nonsenses which ANTIVIR makes you go
through are its #1 main drawback. We should all ask for our money
back! :)

Why such a modest demand?

Proposed new slogan for ACF: Satisfaction guaranteed or *double* your
money back.

triple your money back. . .

quadruple. . .

.. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Craig

Dave said:
i like clamwin

Why Tea;

I also use Clamwin, an Win32 port of ClamAV. It is important to note
though that Clamwin does not provide on-access scanning. Files are not
checked as they are opened/accessed.

This is a feature they're working on. More info on ClamAV can be found
at http://www.clamav.net/. Info specifically for the Win-32 version can
be found at clamwin.com or *.net.

(Btw, it can be run from usb drives).

hth,
Craig

FirstName LastName

Ivan said:
I think that their forum is very active and useful, but maybe I see
different on it than you do.
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/

My recent experience with AVG is not good. Lots of false positives. And
I really don't like any program deleting my files just because they
think they are virus or trojans when they aren't without my knowledge.
This is the default action. And scheduling scans automatically, etc.
Control to the user. If not, they are as bad as virus and trojans.

Tim

This might help,

Put the 'infected' files in the virus vault - I thought this was the default
behaviour - if not, find this option and set it.

Use the Control Centre to turn off the scheduling - why scheduling is the
default I have no idea - I think it sucks.

False positives? Never had 'em (what *do* you have on your PC, young man ;-)

Bob Adams

FirstName LastName said:
My recent experience with AVG is not good. Lots of false positives. And I
really don't like any program deleting my files just because they think
they are virus or trojans when they aren't without my knowledge. This is
the default action. And scheduling scans automatically, etc. Control to
the user. If not, they are as bad as virus and trojans.
Not sure it was a config problem with AVG but I hated having to do a
reboot after every install of an update. Avast just gets on with it in
the background.

Bob

CJ Jones

Bob said:
Not sure it was a config problem with AVG but I hated having to do a
reboot after every install of an update. Avast just gets on with it in
the background.

Bob

I have AVG, and I've never experienced the need to reboot at all.

CJ