Need advice on upgrade, help please!

H

Husker

I'm looking to upgrade from my P4 1.8ghz on a Asus P4TE w/512mb RDRAM. I've done a little research, based on price +
performance, I've come up with this:

Asus Mobo using Intel 865 chipset (I only buy asus!)
P4 2.8C ($182 shipped, retail)
512 or 1gig of PC 2700 or PC 3200 DDR

Now come the questions. First, whats the diff between the 865, 865PE, 865PE and 865G?

The main mobo Im looking at is the Asus P4P800, which has onboard audio and lan, and is $107 shipped retail. It uses the
865PE chipset, but some of the other 865 based chipset mobos from Asus are cheaper, and a couple are more expensive. I dont
want the P4P800 Deluxe, because I dont need the RAID. I would appreciate your thoughts on this chipset and the differences.

The P4 2.8C for $182 shipped is a great deal, but they also have a P4 2.8E for $5 more. The only diff appears to be double
the L2 cache. That and the 2.8E is OEM (no fan).

For the DDR, it looks like that P4P800 will take PC 2700 or PC 3200. Being that PC 3200 is only a couple dollars more than
PC 2700, I will probably go with that. Are there any drawbacks to using the faster PC 3200 memory on this mobo? I remember
when DDR first came out, PC 2100 was the standard, but PC 2700 was available. Many mobos claimed it supported it, but they
were very unstable, because they didn't truely support the PC2700. Im just curious if these mobos can truely support the PC
3200. I usually by Crucial memory. But, should I get ECC, non ECC, buffered, un buffered blah blah.. and what does all the
mean? I never really used to pay attention to that stuff. Maybe I just got lucky.

Anyway, your insight and knowledge is much appreciated. Thanks.

G

Gordon Scott

Husker said:
I'm looking to upgrade from my P4 1.8ghz on a Asus P4TE w/512mb RDRAM. I've done a little research, based on price +
performance, I've come up with this:

Asus Mobo using Intel 865 chipset (I only buy asus!)
P4 2.8C ($182 shipped, retail)
512 or 1gig of PC 2700 or PC 3200 DDR

Now come the questions. First, whats the diff between the 865, 865PE, 865PE and 865G?

The main mobo Im looking at is the Asus P4P800, which has onboard audio and lan, and is $107 shipped retail. It uses the
865PE chipset, but some of the other 865 based chipset mobos from Asus are cheaper, and a couple are more expensive. I dont
want the P4P800 Deluxe, because I dont need the RAID. I would appreciate your thoughts on this chipset and the differences.

The P4 2.8C for $182 shipped is a great deal, but they also have a P4 2.8E for $5 more. The only diff appears to be double
the L2 cache. That and the 2.8E is OEM (no fan).

For the DDR, it looks like that P4P800 will take PC 2700 or PC 3200. Being that PC 3200 is only a couple dollars more than
PC 2700, I will probably go with that. Are there any drawbacks to using the faster PC 3200 memory on this mobo? I remember
when DDR first came out, PC 2100 was the standard, but PC 2700 was available. Many mobos claimed it supported it, but they
were very unstable, because they didn't truely support the PC2700. Im just curious if these mobos can truely support the PC
3200. I usually by Crucial memory. But, should I get ECC, non ECC, buffered, un buffered blah blah.. and what does all the
mean? I never really used to pay attention to that stuff. Maybe I just got lucky.

Anyway, your insight and knowledge is much appreciated. Thanks.

dude, celerons suck, why.. cause they have crappy cache specs, spend the
extra $5 and buy a fan

H

Husker

Who said I was getting a celeron? Read it again, I said a P4 2.8C.. I already know celerons suck :)

Ask a Question