NEC 5700A DVD Driver

G

I have installed XP Home Edition. I also installed a Sony DRU-530A DVD jumpered as master and the NEC DV-5700A (OEM CD-ROM drive) part # 5501500 jumpered as slave. I had to use the NEC DV-5700A to install the XP Home Edition software because the Sony DRU-530A DVD only works with XP. After the installing, the Sony DRU-530A DVD works fine but the NEC DV-5700A doesn't. The NEC DV-5700A show-up in "My Computer" it spins when I put a disc in but it seems to get caught in a loop trying to play and my system locks-up. Properties show device is working properly, it's not. I e-mailed Gateway because I original purchased this computer from them and was running 98SE and the DV-5700A worked fine. They told me the DV-5700 had to be in the Master position. I switched them and still the DV-5700 acts the same. The Sony DVD works fine in the Slave position. Both DVD’s show in “My Computer†and the BIOS and both are set as Auto. Hope you can provide a solution for the NEC DV-5700A (OEM Gateway CD-ROM drive) part # 5501500.

G

Hi

Are you using a 40 Pin flat ribbon IDE cable
If yes, change the cable to a 40 Pin 80 conductor shielded IDE cable
Set the jumpers to cable select for both optical drives
Connect the CD-rom to master and DVD rom to slave or vice versa ( I connected my 16X DVD to master and 48X Cd-rom to slave as the transfer rate for DVD rom is faster than the CD-rom
Boot into BIOS, set the Secondary IDE channel to "auto detect" and enable DMA mode, save and exit
Start windows, go to device manager and check for the optical drivers
If both drives loaded and windows confirmed they work properly, click the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers/secondary IDE channel/Adanced Settings/ then set the transfer mode to " DMA mode if available" for both drive 0 and drive 1

Hope it helps

Pete

Ask a Question