Navigation/Interactive Button

G

Hello
As a newbie, I have been practicing for some time now with updating my site that was created for me by someone using DreamWeaver. I extracted the existing site to My Web Sites and then opened it in FrontPage 2003 and am now ready to do the real deal. I have Windows XP and am using FP2003. I am getting ready to now make my changes to my site (I practiced on a test site) which basically is just updating the background color, text, adding a marquee, etc. Do I need to do anything special to make sure people can navigate through my site? Does the navigation structure and links stay with the existing site or do I need to do it? With my site open, there is nothing on the navigation page but there is on the hyperlinks page. Is this where I can drag the files from my folder list onto the navigation page and that will take care of it? On my test site I dragged the index.htm page from the folder list to the blank navigation page. Then I dragged the other three underneath the home page. Is it just that simple?

I plan on inserting an interactive button in place of the .swf buttons he created. When I insert the interactive button, is there a way to link the pages this way instead of dragging files to the navigation page?

As usual, probably sounds like pretty stupid questions but now that I am working with the site, I can't afford to mess up. Maybe these two things aren't even related which is why I am coming to you for help. Believe me, I have learned a lot by just practicing with the site but obviously I have MUCH MORE to learn

Thank you once again for all of your help

S

Stefan B Rusynko

The navigation view (and navigation bars) are separate from Interactive Buttons

To create navigation from the Nav View, drag pages from Folder List into Navigation View (under your home page or as global top
level pages), or right click an existing page in the nav view and select add page from existing page (and browse to it). Then on
your page Insert a navigation bar or apply a shared border w/ navigation

Interactive Buttons do not use the Nav view
- Just create them and add a hyperlink (to an exiting page or any URL)

--

| Hello,
| As a newbie, I have been practicing for some time now with updating my site that was created for me by someone using DreamWeaver.
I extracted the existing site to My Web Sites and then opened it in FrontPage 2003 and am now ready to do the real deal. I have
Windows XP and am using FP2003. I am getting ready to now make my changes to my site (I practiced on a test site) which basically
is just updating the background color, text, adding a marquee, etc. Do I need to do anything special to make sure people can
navigate through my site? Does the navigation structure and links stay with the existing site or do I need to do it? With my site
open, there is nothing on the navigation page but there is on the hyperlinks page. Is this where I can drag the files from my
folder list onto the navigation page and that will take care of it? On my test site I dragged the index.htm page from the folder
list to the blank navigation page. Then I dragged the other three underneath the home page. Is it just that simple?
|
| I plan on inserting an interactive button in place of the .swf buttons he created. When I insert the interactive button, is there
a way to link the pages this way instead of dragging files to the navigation page?
|
| As usual, probably sounds like pretty stupid questions but now that I am working with the site, I can't afford to mess up. Maybe
these two things aren't even related which is why I am coming to you for help. Believe me, I have learned a lot by just practicing
with the site but obviously I have MUCH MORE to learn.
|
| Thank you once again for all of your help!
|

G

I am so glad someone responded. I think sometimes people dread responding to my emails. I am sure as soon as you folks see my name you cringe. I am so close to getting my new site finished, I just need a little bit more help, I think, and I truly do APPRECIATE all of the help

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. I can do one OR the other and still get the same effect. I can create navigation from the Nav View, etc. OR I can create navigation for my site by using interactive buttons. Is this right?

If this is in fact correct, when I am using the interactive buttons method, let's say for my Home Page, I would insert web component, choose Interactive Button, choose the button, type the text (Home Page). Here is where I am unsure of what to do. In the "Link" box, do I just browse to the "Home Page", and then everytime that button is clicked it will take the person to my Home Page? Oh, I think it just came to me. As long as I do this process for each button on EVERY page that should link all of my pages, right? (I only have a total of four pages, including the Home Page. I would have four buttons to do on four pages which would then link all pages by doing this procedure.

Your response would be greatly appreciated

----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: ----

The navigation view (and navigation bars) are separate from Interactive Button

To create navigation from the Nav View, drag pages from Folder List into Navigation View (under your home page or as global to
level pages), or right click an existing page in the nav view and select add page from existing page (and browse to it). Then o
your page Insert a navigation bar or apply a shared border w/ navigatio

Interactive Buttons do not use the Nav vie
- Just create them and add a hyperlink (to an exiting page or any URL

--

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

| Hello
| As a newbie, I have been practicing for some time now with updating my site that was created for me by someone using DreamWeaver
I extracted the existing site to My Web Sites and then opened it in FrontPage 2003 and am now ready to do the real deal. I hav
Windows XP and am using FP2003. I am getting ready to now make my changes to my site (I practiced on a test site) which basicall
is just updating the background color, text, adding a marquee, etc. Do I need to do anything special to make sure people ca
navigate through my site? Does the navigation structure and links stay with the existing site or do I need to do it? With my sit
open, there is nothing on the navigation page but there is on the hyperlinks page. Is this where I can drag the files from m
folder list onto the navigation page and that will take care of it? On my test site I dragged the index.htm page from the folde
list to the blank navigation page. Then I dragged the other three underneath the home page. Is it just that simple

| I plan on inserting an interactive button in place of the .swf buttons he created. When I insert the interactive button, is ther
a way to link the pages this way instead of dragging files to the navigation page

| As usual, probably sounds like pretty stupid questions but now that I am working with the site, I can't afford to mess up. Mayb
these two things aren't even related which is why I am coming to you for help. Believe me, I have learned a lot by just practicin
with the site but obviously I have MUCH MORE to learn

| Thank you once again for all of your help
|

S

Stefan B Rusynko

You have the process correct

If your pages are all at the same level as the home page, you could just create the interactive buttons on one page and copy them to
the other 3 pages

--

| I am so glad someone responded. I think sometimes people dread responding to my emails. I am sure as soon as you folks see my
name you cringe. I am so close to getting my new site finished, I just need a little bit more help, I think, and I truly do
APPRECIATE all of the help.
|
| So, let me see if I understand this correctly. I can do one OR the other and still get the same effect. I can create navigation
from the Nav View, etc. OR I can create navigation for my site by using interactive buttons. Is this right?
|
| If this is in fact correct, when I am using the interactive buttons method, let's say for my Home Page, I would insert web
component, choose Interactive Button, choose the button, type the text (Home Page). Here is where I am unsure of what to do. In
the "Link" box, do I just browse to the "Home Page", and then everytime that button is clicked it will take the person to my Home
Page? Oh, I think it just came to me. As long as I do this process for each button on EVERY page that should link all of my pages,
right? (I only have a total of four pages, including the Home Page. I would have four buttons to do on four pages which would
then link all pages by doing this procedure.)
|
| Your response would be greatly appreciated!
|
| ----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: -----
|
| The navigation view (and navigation bars) are separate from Interactive Buttons
|
| To create navigation from the Nav View, drag pages from Folder List into Navigation View (under your home page or as global
| level pages), or right click an existing page in the nav view and select add page from existing page (and browse to it).
Then on
| your page Insert a navigation bar or apply a shared border w/ navigation
|
| Interactive Buttons do not use the Nav view
| - Just create them and add a hyperlink (to an exiting page or any URL)
|
| --
|
| _____________________________________________
| SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
|
| | Hello,
| | As a newbie, I have been practicing for some time now with updating my site that was created for me by someone using
DreamWeaver.
| I extracted the existing site to My Web Sites and then opened it in FrontPage 2003 and am now ready to do the real deal. I
have
| Windows XP and am using FP2003. I am getting ready to now make my changes to my site (I practiced on a test site) which
basically
| is just updating the background color, text, adding a marquee, etc. Do I need to do anything special to make sure people can
| navigate through my site? Does the navigation structure and links stay with the existing site or do I need to do it? With
my site
| open, there is nothing on the navigation page but there is on the hyperlinks page. Is this where I can drag the files from
my
| folder list onto the navigation page and that will take care of it? On my test site I dragged the index.htm page from the fo
lder
| list to the blank navigation page. Then I dragged the other three underneath the home page. Is it just that simple?
| |
| | I plan on inserting an interactive button in place of the .swf buttons he created. When I insert the interactive button,
is there
| a way to link the pages this way instead of dragging files to the navigation page?
| |
| | As usual, probably sounds like pretty stupid questions but now that I am working with the site, I can't afford to mess up.
Maybe
| these two things aren't even related which is why I am coming to you for help. Believe me, I have learned a lot by just
practicing
| with the site but obviously I have MUCH MORE to learn.
| |
| | Thank you once again for all of your help!
| |
|
|
|

S

Stefan B Rusynko

If you use Interactive buttons the page level does not matter

It only matters if you use Nav View and nav bars
- and yes the home page is usually at the top,
but you can also have other pages at the same level as the home page (global)

You can use both nav bars and Interactive buttons if you want
Try it to understand it

--

| I am so anxious to start doing this and I should probably just bite the bullet. But, let me ask you, I always thought the Home
Page (Parent Level) was by itself and then underneath that would be my child level pages. In my case, (I think) I have the Home
Page and then I have three child level pages all in the same level. Is is possible, though, that all of my pages are all at the
same level? In other words, is my Home Page in fact at the same level as my child level pages?
|
| How can I tell?
|
| Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!
|
|
| ----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: -----
|
| You have the process correct
|
| If your pages are all at the same level as the home page, you could just create the interactive buttons on one page and copy
them to
| the other 3 pages
|
| --
|
| SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
|
| | I am so glad someone responded. I think sometimes people dread responding to my emails. I am sure as soon as you folks
see my
| name you cringe. I am so close to getting my new site finished, I just need a little bit more help, I think, and I truly do
| APPRECIATE all of the help.
| |
| | So, let me see if I understand this correctly. I can do one OR the other and still get the same effect. I can create
navigation
| from the Nav View, etc. OR I can create navigation for my site by using interactive buttons. Is this right?
| |
| | If this is in fact correct, when I am using the interactive buttons method, let's say for my Home Page, I would insert web
| component, choose Interactive Button, choose the button, type the text (Home Page). Here is where I am unsure of what to do.
In
| the "Link" box, do I just browse to the "Home Page", and then everytime that button is clicked it will take the person to my
Home
| Page? Oh, I think it just came to me. As long as I do this process for each button on EVERY page that should link all of my
pages,
| right? (I only have a total of four pages, including the Home Page. I would have four buttons to do on four pages which
would
| then link all pages by doing this procedure.)
| |
| | Your response would be greatly appreciated!
| |
| | ----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: -----
| |
| | The navigation view (and navigation bars) are separate from Interactive Buttons
| |
| | To create navigation from the Nav View, drag pages from Folder List into Navigation View (under your home page or as
global
| | level pages), or right click an existing page in the nav view and select add page from existing page (and browse to
it).
| Then on
| | your page Insert a navigation bar or apply a shared border w/ navigation
| |
| | Interactive Buttons do not use the Nav view
| | - Just create them and add a hyperlink (to an exiting page or any URL)
| |
| | --
| |
| | _____________________________________________
| | SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| | "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| | To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| | http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| | _____________________________________________
| |
| |
| | | Hello,
| | | As a newbie, I have been practicing for some time now with updating my site that was created for me by someone using
| DreamWeaver.
| | I extracted the existing site to My Web Sites and then opened it in FrontPage 2003 and am now ready to do the real
deal. I
| have
| | Windows XP and am using FP2003. I am getting ready to now make my changes to my site (I practiced on a test site)
which
| basically
| | is just updating the background color, text, adding a marquee, etc. Do I need to do anything special to make sure
people can
| | navigate through my site? Does the navigation structure and links stay with the existing site or do I need to do it?
With
| my site
| | open, there is nothing on the navigation page but there is on the hyperlinks page. Is this where I can drag the files
from
| my
| | folder list onto the navigation page and that will take care of it? On my test site I dragged the index.htm page from
the fo
| lder
| | list to the blank navigation page. Then I dragged the other three underneath the home page. Is it just that simple?
| | |
| | | I plan on inserting an interactive button in place of the .swf buttons he created. When I insert the interactive
button,
| is there
| | a way to link the pages this way instead of dragging files to the navigation page?
| | |
| | | As usual, probably sounds like pretty stupid questions but now that I am working with the site, I can't afford to
mess up.
| Maybe
| | these two things aren't even related which is why I am coming to you for help. Believe me, I have learned a lot by
just
| practicing
| | with the site but obviously I have MUCH MORE to learn.
| | |
| | | Thank you once again for all of your help!
| | |
| |
| |
| |
|
|
|

Ask a Question