NAV reinstallation fails

G

HI,

Sure hope someone can help... Have been cleaning up after the "PINFI" virus (aka another name that starts with P,sorry I forget--PIrates or Pilates? lol no, no no... but close) ---oy what a nightmare. We're talking hours... days, here, all b/c a certain household member who shall remain nameless--and it wasn't MOI!!--couldn't resist clicking on an unknown attachment in an email to see what happened. One click = many (woman hours... Anyway, after seemingly ridding the computer of the virus at last, we wound up deleting all traces of NAV due to corrupted files, and upon attempting to reinstall, got an unable to install message. After trying all the solutions presented by the NAV site, the same error message appears again and again when I try to reinstall NAV (And yes, all older versions are gone, all NAV/Symantec folders, all Live update stuff, etc), and the only thing left, going by the stuff I found at the symantec site is to resinstall Windows installer... and of course for WIN XP it says I need to contact MS "for help with downloading it".

I can't find anything on the MS site about downloading it at all and am hoping (obviously) not to have to pay megabucks for "help downloading" this thing (that may wind up not being the problem after all).

Does anyone have any experioence with this??? What now!!!

G

The only way any of this is going to work properly is for you to ensure that you have completely removed Norton's products.

If you have Norton Anti-Virus or Internet Security then visit their website and download the appropriate removal tool and print out the full instructions, including the manual steps to delete items from registry.

After the tool has run, make sure ALL of the dozens of folders are deleted. Norton's are pretty invasive, folders appear in Norton System Works, Symantec, Programme Files, Shared, Application Data etc. Read their detailled instructions.

Once you have deleted this then look for:

msicuu2.exe - MSI Reinstaller

on the Microsoft Website

Download and run. It also can assist you to remove certain Norton's entries.

Now having donbe all this, make sure that when you boot up again and before attempting to install Norton's: any unnecessary application are stopped. Go to Task manager and click on the Processes Tab. End all non essential items. Stop any Scannner, printer, modem, etc you get the picture. ANy of these may 'block' Nortons. My HP Scanner has certain processes which block Nortons for example and this will cause you to have to start all over again.

G

Thanks--

I didn't run the removal tool; will try that and the registry key, etc. bit, then the reinstaller file, and then leave a message regarding how it worked.

I appreciate the swift reply!
thanks again.

nomad nan

Ask a Question