NArration Sound Recorder: Is it just me or....

Todd W. Roat

does it blow? OK, enough emotion. I have been using XP Sound
recorder and a quality Sony mic attatched to SB Audigy to record wav
files for months. Use Golwave to tweak. The sound files using this
method have been exceptionally good considering the archaic approach.

Recently tried to use the same setup using PPT Narration recorder and
the the sound is not good (read as blows). Tried is both using
stnadard and CD quality. All blow. This is the same setup that
records great outside PPT.

Thoughts? I did notice that when using the recorder, and it gives you
the option to test micorphone and set level, there is no real setting
to do: the level change arrow is maxed out to right at start. Moving
lower makes resultant recording even lower.

I realizie it might be best just to record as wav and palce in slide,
but man it sure would be cool id the PPT recorder worked well, or just
used all the available Windows and sounds option available to it on
the system.

Did I mention it blows?

Todd

Glen Millar

Todd,

It blows, huh? :)

First, my microphone level is also set at max at the start. But as you
speak, there should be a green/yellow bar it adjust down to. If it is quiet,
I would imagine you need to set that in the sound properties in the Control
Panel. Also, what version of PowerPoint?

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

Steve Rindsberg

Todd W. Roat said:
does it blow?

You're Ahab. PowerPoint Narration Recorder's off on the horizon beneath a
largish waterspout. Nuff said?

People who know this end of things well seem to agree that it's not the best
way to do the job. Better to record your narration then chunk it off into
individual sound files.

Now what you might try is a sneaky end run ... use PPT's narration record,
choose the link option and at the same time as you're recording that way,
record using a decent sound system to another computer.

Now you've got external wav files created by PPT, one per slide; replace them
with your chunked good quality files and you should be in business.

He said, never having done anything remotely like this with sounds. But an old
hand at three card file monte. <g>

--
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com

Echo S

Yeah, it does blow.

But in addition to setting the mic level (Glen has good advice there re the
green/yellow bar as you speak), you can also hit the Change Quality option.
I think that by default the quality is fairly low -- which is usually very
appropriate for voice. But maybe try kicking it up a bit and see if that
helps.

Todd W. Roat

Thanks for the reply Glen. Resolved - kind of. If I adjust the mic
level from its default max point down to where the yellow appears
during speaking test, then the resulting sound recorded is so low it
can hardly be heard.

I was able to improve it be choosing, via Microsoft Control Panel
Sound options, "What U HEar" for the recording input. While its nice
to have a partial fix (sound still isnt as good as recording via XP
Recorder), it still makes n o sense. Using XP recorder I use
"Microphone" as the recording input.

The more I delve the more consufed I get. Now it only half-blows ;^)

Todd

Todd W. Roat

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I will be imbedding separate files.
The things that are just buggin me are:

1) My sound recorder level within PPT Narration can not be adjusted.
It open aleady at the max setting. Adjustment only makes things
worse. CD quality improves it slightly - from horrendous up to
bearable.

2) Does PPT not use the inherent Windows recording (SB Audigy/XP
Recorder) stuff or is it its own internal system? All my other
recording outside of PPT are great.

I would suspect my hardware sound setting if they didint work flawless
on other applications.

In just have a good well timed script and could just crank this
project out quick and easy if the internal recorder was up to par.

Oh well, Ive crossed the line from advice seeking to ranting. I'll
stop.

Echo S said:
Yeah, it does blow.

But in addition to setting the mic level (Glen has good advice there re the
green/yellow bar as you speak), you can also hit the Change Quality option.
I think that by default the quality is fairly low -- which is usually very
appropriate for voice. But maybe try kicking it up a bit and see if that
helps.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com