Naming your computer(s)

Reaction score
Some of my friends do this, and i`ve seen that some of you do too. I`m curious... who does, why, whats ur comp called etc etc.

I dont, mainly because my computer doesnt have ears. If it did, it would hate me for the abuse I used to give it. Now, the only problems it ever suffers I can see coming, and I know it aint the computers fault. (ie I push it that weeeeee bit toooo far...)

Kenny

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kenny said:
I dont, mainly because my computer doesnt have ears. If it did, it would hate me for the abuse I used to give it.

An old mate of mine had no ears, nasty accident with some automatic doors at Stockwell tube station. Doug said it hurt, but he got used to it.

We used to call him Lugless Douglas, he had a name, you see.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
My comp used to be called P4-Zorro, as it was a P4 based system in a Zorro style case, I havent renamed it yet since changing into the Alpine EZcool case, but it does look like a great big cheese grater, so maybe I should just rename it to CheeseGrater.
To be honest, I never really had a reason to name my computer, so never payed that much attention to it, but once I get my other systems built, I shall be naming them all, mainly so I can distinguish between them on my network.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Cache-man said:
but once I get my other systems built, I shall be naming them all, mainly so I can distinguish between them on my network.

Have to say, that's the main reason I named mine, not out of some misplaced emotion ;)

Reaction score
I tend to give mine names on paper when working out the spec. It started with the 1nteger FCQ (standing for Fast, Cool, Quiet...but also when u pronounce Fcq quickly as a word it sounds a bit like '**** You', which was my response to anyone saying they had a faster PC.:D

Once the machine is built, I forget what they were called. Then they get called 'Rig 1' or 'Rig 2'

Reaction score
Sam, Turbo-nutter, Slug_on_acid and Eric i think!

We try and think of the most random names possible for ours - nothing too computerish...

Me nans religious, so hers is called God :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OK, I listed names at the other thread, but to re-iterate:

1) Shiny Beast
2) Andromeda
3) Psion
4) Perseus

Dunno why, just liked the sound of the names. First one's Captain Beefheart influenced, others are to do with Astronomy.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Me nan's religious, so hers is called God :D

Hehe :D Does that mean there's lots of Gods about?

Hmm, me best rethink this, I could be steppin' on dangerous ground here.... :eek:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
An old mate of mine had no ears, nasty accident with some automatic doors at Stockwell tube station. Doug said it hurt, but he got used to it.

Part of me wants to feel really guilty about the ..no ears no point naming.. comment but at the same time.... thats totally different!

Ummm... having no ears would make it difficult for him to respond to someone calling him, assuming he couldnt hear. Err.... I`m digging a hole here.. I`m not intending to mock the afflicted, but....Oooohhh I`ll shut up.

Reaction score
My new Athlon 3200 64 bit is called Amadeus.
My Athlon 2200 is called Athlonius.
My old Duron 1300 box is called Duronimo.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

Kenny said:
Part of me wants to feel really guilty about the ..no ears no point naming.. comment but at the same time.... thats totally different!

Ummm... having no ears would make it difficult for him to respond to someone calling him, assuming he couldnt hear. Err.... I`m digging a hole here.. I`m not intending to mock the afflicted, but....Oooohhh I`ll shut up.

lol OK, I'll end your guilt, twas but a funny, a myth, an untruth ;)

Lugless Douglas is but a figment of my fevered imagination.

So rest easy :)

Reaction score
Hmm... I have named all my pc's and never even thought it was strange. First computer was a P1 Gateway 2000 that I was using from 2000-2003. I named it "Dyno" . Cause by then it was just a huge, slow dinasoar. Later was the hp 3200+; i put in a window in and a green CC and a green led exaust fan, thus named GreenGoblin ( Green Latern wouldn't fit :( ) I then networked this one with "Dyno" and Dyno was renamed "Hob Goblin"

Well both Goblins have been stripped and sold off for parts, and junked. Useful parts have gone into "Dark_Guardian" which is a black guardian case, which I've just about finished modding. I'll add a pic if you like. But here is the case as seen on new egg.

Attachments

• guardain front.jpg
    guardain front.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 86

Ask a Question