Names...

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of you lot have cryptic names... curiosity has finally got the better of me; What do they all mean? How did you think of them?

For example, I'm intrigued why Matt Jason H's avatar spells out 'acrimonious'

If you don't want to tell, thats fine! I'm just being nosy ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
acrimonious is just my alternative nick/handle, when i'm gaming, chatting or in some other forums i use it, sounds a little less mincy than "Matt Jason H" :p . Sharp and cynical of tone or manner i take it to mean in this case. Although there are other deffininations such as bitter, angry and violent (in the non phyiscal-harm-to-living-things meaning). It's not a word that's in common use, although celebrity/hollywood journalists that try to sound clever often use it to describe a divorce.

Reaction score
I Didnt Notice It Either!.....

But Then Again... I Only Notice My Bath Is Full... When It Starts Raining .. In The Living Room!!!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You know, I've been trying for months to figure out what that said.

As for "Muckshifter" ... I'll let you figure that one out for yourselves.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Way back in '99 or so, I bought my first 'real' system, upgrading from a Gigabyte board with an AMD K6-2 350Mhz processor to an Abit KT7 board with an 800Mhz Duron. I bought the RAID version of the board without really knowing what RAID was. I had problems putting it together, and searched out Abit on the net. They referred me to a Forum that could maybe help me out. Icrontic, if you must know, now long gone.(Edit Jan '08: In fact Icrontic Forums still do exist, they have been exhumed, as it were, but are completely different from the original Forum).

I joined using my real name, got loads of help, and got my shiny new system up and running. I was thrilled. So I hung about and took part in the social side of the Forum, I didn't know such things as Forums existed before that, only online social actvities I'd taken part in before then was winding up everybody in the AOL Christian/Religious chat section ;) I used to enjoy that. I swear I saved a Christian transvestite from committing suicide one night. Honest. Strange people :D

Anyway, I noticed everybody had a nickname on that Forum and few used their real name, so I got it changed to floppybootstomp. It's a song title.

My favourite musician is Captain Beefheart. And his Magic Band. Floppybootstomp is the first track on his '78 album Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller). At the time, I thought it was good cos it had 2 computer references in there, but over the years I actually wish I'd made a better choice. The name has invited ridicule and humour in equal parts. I dunno, I use 'Slippery' when on line gaming, named after an old comic character 'Slippery Sid'. I was thinking of changing my name to that across all Forums I take part in, but this name is now me, I suppose.

So that's how I got my name.

And I know the origin of Mucks' name, he was one of the first 'characters' I got to know online. But I ain't telling, I'll let him spill the beans ;)

And Bex, as the originator of this thread I should really ask you how you chose your name.....

But I think I sussed it, you is called Rebecca and, ahem, er, well, ya know :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Wow, nice to find out the history behind it!

As for my name, I just chose it for a joke and because it rhymes (I suppose I could have gone for 'Bex with the Pecks', but that's just wrong! ;))

Reaction score
Mine isn't in the least bit complicated like floppy's :eek:

Im 5ft 2 tall.. so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how I garnered this nickname many years ago :rolleyes:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Back in 1998 when I first downloaded the ICQ I had to come up with what you call "handle" and since I had no idea of what a handle really was and how it can be part of your identity I did not give it much thought and simply spent a few minutes and came up with the new handle for myself "Quadophile" which I am still using and probably will remain my identity for good. The word is coined by joining two words "Audiophile" which I am sure everyone knows what it means and the other is "Quad" which is the brand of amplification that I use. Put them together and the new word is "Quadophile".

Today if I had to come up with a handle I would certainly give it a thought. I always register with this very identity whenever I am joining a new forum.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I probably have the most complex here... as it consists of two parts:

"Ian" - Which happens to be my first name
&
"Cunningham" Which happens to be my last name

It is quite a handy handle, as it saves time when filling forms for Driving licenses/Bills etc... as I use it so often online I can remember it ;)

Well, seriously...I havent actually thought of a handle for myself before, even though I've been online for about 8 years! If I did have one, I'd probably involve "monkey" in it somewhere :D

Hmm... "Geordie Monkey" doesn't quite have a ring too it! ;)

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
In my opinion the best identity is actual name, nothing can beat that!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
In my opinion the best identity is actual name, nothing can beat that!
... and is still more original than anything we could dream up.

Well, except for muchshifter.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Hi... My name.. well..

There was this Paranormal Chat thing that i thought might be interesting... (Even if total rubbish.... lol... ok i was bored at the time!)

Well i had to think of a handle to register... Christopher was far too boring so i came up With (Drum Roll).......... Spooky Mouse..... !!

I am in no way affiliated with the testing of lab mice or anything... Nor use them as slave labour!

Reaction score
Although slightly off topic, Ian i was wondering what you avatar was a picture of? It seems slightly familiar although i have no idea why. Maybe that should worry me slightly :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
couchwarrior said:
Although slightly off topic, Ian i was wondering what you avatar was a picture of? It seems slightly familiar although i have no idea why. Maybe that should worry me slightly :p
I too have seen that thing before. If I'm not mistaken it's a well known breakfast cereal getting somewhat fruity :D

Right or wrong? ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
couchwarrior said:
Its actually from a Japanese cartoon and I think its called a Domokun. I saw it on the internet from a google image search and found it quite funny, so I used it - so I'm not 100% sure myself!

I want the "Puss in Boots" cat from Shrek 2 next :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Its actually from a Japanese cartoon and I think its called a Domokun. I saw it on the internet from a google image search and found it quite funny, so I used it - so I'm not 100% sure myself!
I'm not surprised i've seen a quite a few few strange japanese things before, One of my favorite being an present i got which was an ultra man toilet roll holder, with sounds and light up eyes. :)

Ask a Question