Leaky Bunnies..?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm referring to the Duracell battery bunnies...

We've used the brand for many years, but recently - say over the past year or two - we've experienced a noticeable increase in battery-leakage and corrosion. We purchase fresh stock, from reputable retailers (not knock-off lookee-likees.)

Today, a formerly good LED, 3 x D-cell torch had to be binned. It had died. No wonder... the Duracell copper-top batteries had leaked badly and made an awful mess of the metal torch-interior. One battery - closest to the bulb-end, had corroded so badly, it was impossible to remove it. RIP torch.

Yesterday, I changed the 3 x AAA-cells in a different torch. They looked fine, but, as I removed them from the little cartridge that holds them in place, moisture leaked from their butt-ends onto my fingers. Eeew! Looks like I was just in time to "save" that particular torch. (Thank goodness, because it was quite an expensive Lenser.)

Anyway, looking around the Net, I can see that this has happened to quite a lot of other folk. Didn't Duracell used to be advertised as being pretty-much leak-proof..?

Before anyone tells me off for not being "green" and that I should use re-chargeable cells, yes I know... But they're a bit of a hassle. Also, I've never found them to be quite so efficient (er, ignoring the leakiness for a minute.)

So... for those of you who might use them, have you noticed any difference in Duracell quality? Or have any of you found a different brand to be more reliable and less likely to ruin things? Just curious. :)

Reaction score
You could report it to the head of the bunnies?
You never know they might replace them, free?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Re-chargeables have come a long way ... I've had my 'Energizers' for a few years now ... I use the 2500 mAh especially for my DSLR camera. I never leave batteries in anything that's not going to be used.

Oh, and my "torch" is actually my mobile phone. :lol:

Reaction score
Duracell now make a DuraLock version

I have recent bought some AA 2400mAH
Apparently they don't discharge when not in use

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've used Eneloop rechargeables for a long time now. Made by Sanyo, they have lasted several years and are still going strong. I use the AA type in the camera. :)

PS Definition of a torch - a container for holding dead batteries. :)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I bought some Duracell rechargeables around six months ago to replace the 7 year old other rechargeables I'd been using cos they was knackered and I've been very impressed with them. They hold their charge for at least a couple of months, I use them in my two Maglite torches in two of my toolboxes with two recharged spares for each.

All they have written on them is 'Duracell Rechargeable' and they're 2450maH and they look pretty much like a standard Green black and Gold Duracell battery.

I do use non-rechargeables in some instances (clocks and wireless keyboards and mouses, for instance) and I noticed CPC were selling 'Trade' Duracells marketed as 'Procell' and they are considerably cheaper than the standard Duracell batteries. I've bought 20 of each AA & AAA but have yet to try any.

As for leakage, I've never known a Duracell battery to leak but I don't doubt that some are and that's bad news.

I've also been impressed with Ever-Ready high energy batteries but have never tried their rechargeables.

I will repeat the assertion made here that rechargeable batteries have improved enormously over the last five years or so, they're almost indistinguishable from the regular batteries now.

And with me, it's not a 'Green' thing (I actually loathe Greenies) it's a Mr Scrooge thing ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
You could report it to the head of the bunnies?
You never know they might replace them, free?
I have to admit, the thought did cross my mind... Had it been a ruined radio or camera, then probably I would have made a complaint, but it's probably easier just to replace the torch.

Duracell now make a DuraLock version

I have recent bought some AA 2400mAH
Apparently they don't discharge when not in use...
Oh Forgot to mention they have a 5 year warranty
Those sound good TXD, the company must have faith in them to offer a 5 yr warranty. Thanks for the heads-up. :thumb:

Re-chargeables have come a long way ... I've had my 'Energizers' for a few years now ... I use the 2500 mAh especially for my DSLR camera. I never leave batteries in anything that's not going to be used.

Oh, and my "torch" is actually my mobile phone. :lol:

I've used Eneloop rechargeables for a long time now. Made by Sanyo, they have lasted several years and are still going strong. I use the AA type in the camera. :)

PS Definition of a torch - a container for holding dead batteries. :)
Thanks Mucks and Niv, Lol... But truthfully, torches are in regular, pretty-much daily use here. The cats love to "chase" the beams of light! :D

I bought some Duracell rechargeables around six months ago to replace the 7 year old other rechargeables I'd been using cos they was knackered and I've been very impressed with them. They hold their charge for at least a couple of months, I use them in my two Maglite torhces in two of my toolboxes with two recharged spares for each.

All they have written on them is 'Duracell Rechargeable' and they're 2450maH and they look pretty much like a standard Green black and Gold Duracell battery.

I do use non-rechargeables in some instances (clocks and wireless keyboards and mouses, for instance) and I noticed CPC were selling 'Trade' Duracells marketed as 'Procell' and they are considerably cheaper than the standard Duracell batteries. I've bought 20 of each AA & AAA but have yet to try any.

As for leakage, I've never known a Duracell battery to leak but I don't doubt that some are and that's bad news.

I've also been impressed with Ever-Ready high energy batteries but have never tried their rechargeables.

I will repeat the assertion made here that rechargeable batteries have improved enormously over the last five years or so, they're almost indistinguishable from the regular batteries now.

And with me, it's not a 'Green' thing (I actually loathe Greenies) it's a Mr Scrooge thing ;)
We have used "Procell" and found them to be jolly good - in the sense that they are long-lasting and have never (yet) leaked. I've used the small, flat, square 9v batteries in a TENS machine, kitchen electronic scales and our chiming doorbell, plus some C-cells in a DAB radio. No complaints at all, even when the batteries have been in-situ for ages.

I've not seen them on sale locally though. We previously purchased them from the internet - so probably worth ordering other sizes, when our current supply of copper-tops has been used-up.

From all of your comments, it sounds as if rechargeables have indeed improved. I guess that makes sense, if the greenies want us all to make the switch and create less pollution. I feel a little more tempted to explore - particularly for the items that receive heavy use.

Many thanks for all your helpful comments guys :thumb:

Ask a Question