Missing Gb

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Does anyone know of a small app which monitors disc space, and informs you when the space is being taken up by summat ??
I posted last week when i got Vista SP2 that somehow i was given back nearly 40Gb of HD space....somewhere over the last week that space is getting smaller or shrinking. This would be fine if i was downloading loads of movies but, i'm not. Has anyone else noticed their HD space getting smaller since they got SP 2 ....doesnt make sense really but i have been watching my hard drive and using a broadband meter so i know its not me thats using it up....any ideas folks??
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Hi Wiz and thanks for the speedy reply...i had a nose around on that link and it was very interesting. Its strange this only started happening after the SP2 update so i will have a check...just posting back to you first...i'm a lttle unsure abiut this system restore stuff so i will probably make a back up first before i start messing about...thanks again.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Sorry Wizi forgot to ask ya....how much space should i allocate for system restore points in your valued opinion...
Zzzzz

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Sorry Wizi forgot to ask ya....how much space should i allocate for system restore points in your valued opinion...
Zzzzz

Hi,

A system restore image can be of 350-1000 MB so I would recommend give it 5-7 GB.

I am unsure though why it would start happening after installing SP2 I have not noticed any problems scince installing it. I will have a look around on the net and see If I can find anything that might help.

Hope that helps

Reaction score
Hi WiZ,
Thanks for your help but dont go using up your valuable weekend freetime searching for a fix for me.....i will sort it without being a burden on anyone....you could be off enjoying yourself while your surfing looking for that info....thanks for all your helptho....i'd still be scratching me head but now i know hwere to lokk thanks to you.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Me again Wiz,
I had a look in me control panel and the last restore point was made last night so this could account for the loss of space i recently noticed....about 4 or 5 Gb. I will keep a close eye now before i make any changes. i also notice the remote access enabled box was ticked, so i unticked it but this was i little change that i definitely didnt make. I think everyone should check their system after the upgrade.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Hi Zed,

No problem mate I had a look on the net but I could not find anything. I would recommend as you have said to keep an eye on the system restore volume. My system with Vista SP2 seems fine after installing SP2 no decrease in the space. Have you ran CCleaner to remove any junk and temp files? I take it you have done all the virs scans and spyware scans just in case it might link to that?

Regards

Ask a Question