MyDoom

Neel

My computer seems to be infected, Ive tried all of
Microsoft's solutions but cant find anything.. the reason
I think its infected is because I have received several
messages from mail servers that say I tried to send an
infected attatchment (to addresses unknown to me!)
Ive tried FxMydoom from Symantec, and Stinger from
McAfee.. WHAT DO I DO???????? I shut down my System
restore option (as suggested by FxMydoom) and now I cant
turn it on again!! Feeling rather vulnerable!

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Neel said:
My computer seems to be infected, Ive tried all of
Microsoft's solutions but cant find anything.. the reason
I think its infected is because I have received several
messages from mail servers that say I tried to send an
infected attatchment (to addresses unknown to me!)
Ive tried FxMydoom from Symantec, and Stinger from
McAfee.. WHAT DO I DO???????? I shut down my System
restore option (as suggested by FxMydoom) and now I cant
turn it on again!! Feeling rather vulnerable!

Hi

Take a look at this recent post by Bruce Chambers:

From: "Bruce Chambers" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
Subject: Re: Could someone else be using my e-mail account to send viruses?
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:22:45 -0700

<quote>
Greetings --

There's a good possibility that you're not the one infected with
the virus/worm. The way many mass emailing worms work is that it
sends out emails from the infected machine to every address it finds,
and it randomly selects one of those found addresses to place in the
"from" fields. What this means is that someone else who has your
email address in his/her contact list is actually the infected party.
You might consider advising everyone with who you've recently
corresponded that they should all perform virus scans.

Bruce Chambers
</quote>

More about the mydoom worm here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]