My Network Places on Start Menu/Start Bar

D

dinky

Hi there,

If you enable My Network Places on the new XP style Start Menu, is there a way in the registry to expand the list of my network places just like you can for Network Connections or Control Panel?

Cheers
Dave

K

Keith Miller MVP

Start -> Run -> regedit

Navigate to:

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced"

In the right-hand pane, change the value of 'Start_ShowNetPlaces' to 2.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

Hi there,

If you enable My Network Places on the new XP style Start Menu, is there a way in the registry to
expand the list of my network places just like you can for Network Connections or Control Panel?

Cheers
Dave

K

Keith Miller MVP

....and here's a reg file to add the radio-button options to the Start Menu Properties dialog:

------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartPanel\ShowNetPlaces]
"Type"="group"
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30481"
"Bitmap"="%SystemRoot%\\System32\\shell32.dll,18"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartPanel\ShowNetPlaces\Hide]
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"Type"="radio"
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30492"
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
"ValueName"="Start_ShowNetPlaces"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartPanel\ShowNetPlaces\Menu]
"Type"="radio"
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30491"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartPanel\ShowNetPlaces\Open]
"Type"="radio"
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30490"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartPanel\ShowNetPlaces\Policy]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartPanel\ShowNetPlaces\Policy\NoStartMenuNetworkPlaces]
@=""

--------------------------------

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

Hi there,

If you enable My Network Places on the new XP style Start Menu, is there a way in the registry to
expand the list of my network places just like you can for Network Connections or Control Panel?

Cheers
Dave

Ask a Question