My Laptop wont read my External HDD

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a LG 1 Tb external hard drive Ive been using for a little under 6 months. Last night I accidently dropped it and when I plugged it into my laptop it picks up that there is the LG hdd drive (in printers and devices in my control pannel) but not in "my computer". I followed some instructions of the other threads that were on here regarding similiar problems but I still have no luck. I cant see my LG External hdd in the device manager either.

There isnt anything loose rattling inside of it nor is there any burnt smells coming from it too etc. I opened the case to see of there was anything else out of the ordinary but everything looks in tact.

Im stressing!! How do i get this External hdd to work? What do i do?

Thanks all

D

Reaction score
Right click on My computer> select manage> select disk management. Does your external HDD show up there? If not, try clicking on action> Rescan disks. If it doesn't find it then you may have just damaged your drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Nitdawg, I did as you said but still nothing has shown up. Is there anyway I can fix this? like the hdd itself? The documents I have on there are important to me and loosing them would mean that ive lost 3 years of work and research.

Yes I know about backing it up to another hdd or to another device lol, I did that twice, but last week my car was broken into and other external device was stolen and 3 days after my usb flash device (also with it on) broke. This is like Im being tested...... (I hate tests). The luck im having is wanderful (sarcastically speaking):rolleyes:

Reaction score
Do you have any kind of weird noise coming from drive?

Is it clicking?

If not chances are something is wrong with the controller board attached to the drive...

If you really desperate you can take drive out of case and attach too your computers on a separate SATA and power port to allow the computer to then try and find it

Ask a Question