"my documents" folder redirection

When you go to Start -> Run -> and type "my documents" explorer brings up
your my documents folder. Great for a quick way of getting to my documents
but when using SBS 2003, my documents are redirected to a folder share.

eg. \\sbs2003\Users\username\My Documents

but when you do Start -> Run -> and type "my documents" explorer opens the
local folder
eg.
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents

which is obviously empty..or just not the right place for documents.

Is there a way to make this work when the my documents folder has been
re-directed.

Is there a registry key or environment variable for this?

Thanks in Advance.

If you set an environment variable such as "docs" to the directory path you
want to open you will be able to type %docs% in the run menu to open that
folder.

You can also use existing environment variables when creating the new one.
For example the "docs" environment variable could be specified as:

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents

Alex Xie [MSFT]

Hi Ian,

Thank you for posting here!

Based on my research, the command line "My Documents" points to the
physical path "%userprofile\My Documents%" and this won't remember the
change that is made by Folder Redirection policy. If there is a blank
folder named My Documents located under the profile folder, it will open
this blank folder when input "My Documents".

To workaround this issue, I suggest you manually create a system variable
as follows:

Variable name: My Documents
Variable value: \\servername\sharedfolder\%username%\My Documents

And then, you can input %My Documents% in the command line to access the My
Documents folder. Or directly, you open the My Documents folder icon on the
desktop to open the My Documents.

Hope the above information is helpful. If anything is unclear, please feel
free to let me know.

Best regards,

Alex Xie

Microsoft Online Partner Support
via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| From: =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFJvYmVydA==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: "my documents" folder redirection
| Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:24:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hi,
|
| When you go to Start -> Run -> and type "my documents" explorer brings
up
| your my documents folder. Great for a quick way of getting to my
documents
| but when using SBS 2003, my documents are redirected to a folder share.
|
| eg. \\sbs2003\Users\username\My Documents
|
| but when you do Start -> Run -> and type "my documents" explorer opens
the
| local folder
| eg.
| C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents
|
| which is obviously empty..or just not the right place for documents.
|
| Is there a way to make this work when the my documents folder has been
| re-directed.
|
| Is there a registry key or environment variable for this?
|
| Thanks in Advance.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the response. So as I understand it I can't re-define "My
Documents"
so if user typed in %my documents% and "my documents" (without the quotes)
they would get two different folders. Ideally I wanted to redefine the "my
documents" because thats what it's called ;-)

It's only really a cosmetic thing, call me a pedant if you like.

Ian.

Alex Xie [MSFT]

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your response.

As I explained before, the command line "xxxx" is by design to open the
%userprofile%\xxxx folder and we cannot bypass it. Any folder under this
path can be opened through the "xxxx" command. For example, if I type
"microsoft" in Start > Run, the microsoft folder in the user profile will
open if this folder exists although this folder could be a blank folder.

In your situation, the My Documents folder has been redirected to the
shared folder and the original content in this folder has been moved out.
For this reason, the command "My Documents" results in opening a blank
folder. In roaming profile scenarios, this command should work without any
problem.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post back.

Best regards,
Alex Xie

Microsoft Online Partner Support
via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

Alex Xie [MSFT]

Hi Ian,

How is everything going?