My Documents folder, possible to assign a special icon through the registry?

L

Lee C.

This is a minor matter, but I tend to get stubborn when I can't get something to work that I think ought to work. But, after several hours of tinkering around, I decided I'd better ask my betters.

I'm multibooting WIN 98, 2000 (pro), and XP (pro); sharing the ''MyDocuments'' folder between them as d:\documents

WIN 98, as default behavior, assigns a specialty icon to this folder (the one that appears on the desktop in the other two systems); neither of the other two OSs use the special icon. XP will, however, show the icon if the folder is set ''read only''. Problem is that the folder loses the set attributes when I reboot into either WIN 98 or 2000, and the icon is gone again next time I'm in XP.

I figure, after some fussing around with it, that this has something to do with the ''desktop.ini'' file. It appears that perhaps WIN 2000 doesn't think there needs be a desktop.ini file at all, and the one that's in there now has been re-written by either 98 or XP or both, and I'm not sure which of the lines in that file were provided by which OS. What exactly the originals read like I don't know.

Quaere then: Is there a way to assign an icon to the My Documents folder from within the XP registry?

L

Lee C.

I appreciate the thought, but that program works by altering the ''desktop.ini'' files, which leads us back to the incompatibility of commands problem between the various operating systems I use at various times. To quote the readme file from that app, ''For some special Windows folders (like Offline Web Pages, History,
etc...), icons names are not shown correctly. However, these folders
cannot be modified by Change Icon.''

The ''My Documents'' folder is one of those that cannot be thusly modified I believe. The question was whether was a way to assign an icon in the registry (and thus hopefully override any ''desktop.ini'' attempts to set an icon.

Ask a Question