My Computer shows LAN disconnected, but it's really connected???

J

jbclem

I started up the 1st computer on my two computer LAN today, but the 2nd computer was off. So the network connections
weren't made. Later I started up the 2nd computer. I wanted to transfer a file from the 2nd to the 1st computer so I
checked in My Computer(on the 2nd computer) and it showed all the partitions on the 1st computer marked with a red X.

I wasn't able to access the lst computer partitions from the 2nd computer (using My Computer). But I discovered I
could go to My Network Places and by clicking through the various folders (Microsoft Network, Entire Network, Microsoft
Windows Network, Workgroup, etc....) I could access the partition and folder that I wanted to transfer the file to. I
transfered the file without any problem. But I still can't access the 1st computer via My Computer.

This brings up two questions. 1. why can I access computer #1 with My Network Places but not with My Computer?
2. without rebooting the 2nd computer, is there a way to re-establish the
My Computer connectivity.

John

K

kd833

Did you use a login/password to create the mapped network folders as
local drivers? When you navigated through My Network Places to the
remote share. Did you have to enter login/password to connect to it?

J

jbclem

No password is required as I keep the login name and password the same for both computers. (I learned that lesson the
hard way!). Usually if I leave the #1 computer on, or start it up first, when I start up the #2 computer it will make
the connections. If either computer is off when I start up the other, there will be a message for each shared partition
warning me that the connection hasn't been made. Later when the other computer is started up, I know I can connect via
My Network Places and that always seemed to turn on the other connection ability(via My Computer/Explorer).

Whatever is happening, I haven't had to remap the connections to get them to work. There's something here I don't quite
understand...what is the difference between My Network Places connections and those done through My Computer/Explorer.?

John

Did you use a login/password to create the mapped network folders as
local drivers? When you navigated through My Network Places to the
remote share. Did you have to enter login/password to connect to it?

J

jbclem

I just checked the My Computer connections from the 2nd computer(1st computer is on). All the partition icons from the
1st computer still show red X's. When I doubleclick on a red X to try and make the connection, there is an error
message saying: "Microsoft Windows Network: The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials. The
connection has not been restored."

That must be the explanation, but I don't know what it refers to. Can someone help with this?

John

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

jbclem said:
I just checked the My Computer connections from the 2nd computer(1st
computer is on). All the partition icons from the
1st computer still show red X's. When I doubleclick on a red X to try and
make the connection, there is an error
message saying: "Microsoft Windows Network: The credentials supplied
conflict with an existing set of credentials. The
connection has not been restored."

That must be the explanation, but I don't know what it refers to. Can
someone help with this?

John

This means that you have a pre-existing connection that uses an
account/password that disagrees with the account/password required for the
share connection you're trying to establish. I would do this:
- Click Start/Run/cmd{OK} to start a Command Prompt.
- Type these commands:
net use * /del{Enter}
(To remove all pre-existing share connections)
net use{Enter}
(To ensure that all network connections are removed)

You should now be able to make whatever share connection you wish to make.
Remember to synchronise your account/password between ALL of your machines,
as suggested by kd833.

J

jbclem

The only problem with this explanation is that I don't use a password for the share connection. As I mentioned
previously, I learned the hard way about that when I was trying to make the share connection from a new OS/partition
(installed on my #1 computer) that used a different login username/password. When I made sure I was making the
connection from a profile that used the same login username/password as all the others, then I no longer was asked for a
username/password when trying to make a share connection.

Your suggestion to remove all pre-existing share connections means that I'll be starting from scratch, correct?
Remapping all connections again? Or will I need to reboot to start up all network connections? It sounds like a good
way to get rid of all network dross...

When you say to "synchronise my account/password between all of my machines" do you mean make sure they are identical,
or is there another way to synchronise?

John

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Yes, to "synchronise accounts & passwords" means that they are all the same.

Instead of remaking your various share connections (and having occasional
problems with remembered but now invalid connections), why don't you grab
the bull by the horns and put yourself into the driver's seat? You can do it
like so:
- Click Start / Run / notepad "%UserProfile%\Start
Menu\Programs\Startup\netlogon.bat"{OK}
- Accept the prompt to create a new file
- Type the following lines:
net use /persistent:no
net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShareName
net use Q: \\OtherPC\OtherShareName
etc.

Each time you log on you will get precisely the share connections you
specify. Old (and possibly obsolete) connections are no longer remembered.

Ask a Question