Multiple Internet Connections

Tyler

Does windows XP offer any way to set up two simultaneous,
combined internet connections? I have a laptop with Wi-
Fi and an ethernet plug, and have access to multiple
internet accounts - one adsl that I have hooked up to the
laptop via the ethernet cable, and cable running off a
wireless router (accessed by wi-fi). Is there any way to
combine these two connections to get a single, very fast
connection (either software or operating system - I have
access to Windows 2000 (server and professional), XP pro
and windows server 2003. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

Matt DuBois [MSFT]

Generally to combine two network connections like that, you need driver
support from the device you are using to connect to both networks (it is
usually a single card with more than one network connection), and ISP
support. The way it works is that your ISP would treat both connections
as one BIG connection as far as the internet is concerned, and then break it
up before sending it over the two smaller ones that actually came to your
house. On the other end, the device you were using to access the ISP would
put the pieces back together again before the TCP/IP stack on your computer
saw it. In the scenario you are describing, you lack both parts. With one
wi-fi connection and one ethernet connection, both probably with different
drivers and almost certainly drivers that don't support this anyway, you
will not be able to put the pieces back together on your machine. And with
both connections going to different ISPs, the ISP half of the picture is
missing too.

Does that make sense? Reply back with questions if you have any more.

-Matt