Msn messenger error: you have signed in on another computer

Reaction score
I got this message yesterday and I'm trying to figure out whether someone has my password or somehow another instance of messenger occurred on my laptop.

I have windows xp media centre and I was using vpn yesterday, and I was on a wireless connection which sometimes would lose the connection, hence causing msn messenger to disconnect momentarily. When I connect to VPN it also causes msn messener to disconnect. I was also using skype (which is probably irrelevant).

I have never used windows messenger (which i've read is sometimes the cause of this message) and it wasn't running on my computer at the time, so it can't be that especially since i'm using a new account on msn messenger which wouldn't be stored in windows messenger anyway. I also do not use Norton Antivirus which i've read might also be the cause.

Yesterday at one point i was writing messages and it was saying they couldn't be delivered as I was not signed in. then it signed back in and a while later about 10-20 mins later the message "You have signed into messenger on another computer" popped up. I was connected to vpn at the time.

I have only have only ever encountered the message when I sign in on another computer. I have also tried to repeat the scenario, but have been unable to get the error message again. I have not received the message since whilst still being connected to vpn and the same wireless connection.I have changed the password since but I'm worried someone could have accessed my account in the meanwhile. Any information or explanation of what it could be would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question