Event ID: 1004
Date: 4/21/2005
Time: 11:29:49 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: MY_COMPUTER
Detection of product '{254DFD4F-4510-48FC-934C-4ECCDEE7CA1A}', feature
'WiMP_Files', component '{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99}' failed. The
resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\UpdateService\' does not
exist.

Rock

Smurfman said:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date: 4/21/2005
Time: 11:29:49 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: MY_COMPUTER
Detection of product '{254DFD4F-4510-48FC-934C-4ECCDEE7CA1A}', feature
'WiMP_Files', component '{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99}' failed. The
resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\UpdateService\' does not
exist.

Is there a question here?

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Hello,

You have indicated that you get the following event error in event log:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date: 4/21/2005
Time: 11:29:49 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: MY_COMPUTER
Detection of product '{254DFD4F-4510-48FC-934C-4ECCDEE7CA1A}', feature
'WiMP_Files', component '{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99}' failed.
The
resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\UpdateService\' does not
exist.

Based on my research, I think there are two possibilities will cause the
issue:

Possibility 1: This issue may be caused by a loading program or service.
Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting to
check if it is the root cause. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
2. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services
check box, and then click Disable All.
3. On the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button to uncheck all
startup item choices.
4. Click OK and restart your computer.
5. Check "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration
Utility when Windows starts" and check this issue.

To revert to the Normal Startup, please perform the following steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
b. Check the option "Normal Startup".
c. Click OK and then click Restart.

If the behavior doesn't exist in this mode, we can determine the problem is
related to a Startup item and is not covered by Microsoft Services. Please
enable only one item each time and restart the computer until the behavior
reappears. The last enabled item is the problematic item. We can simply
disable the item to resolve this issue.

After finding the culprit, choose Normal Mode in MSCONFIG, and then go to
the tab containing the problematic entry to uncheck the program.

Possibility 2: The issue may be caused by the corruption of Windows
Installer.

Based on the current information, let's perform the following steps to
solve this issue:

Register Windows Installer
====
1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

4. After accessing Safe Mode, click Start->Run.

5. Type in cmd.exe (without the quotation marks), and press OK.

6. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:

MSIexec /unregister (Note: There is a space between MSIexec and
/unregister)

7. Then, please type in the following command and press Enter:

MSIexec /regserver (Note: There is a space between MSIexec and
/regserver)

8. Restart the computer and test whether the issue is resolved.

Meanwhile, please check if the windows installer service has been started.

HTH!

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Well, so far here is what I have found, since before your post. WiMP looks
to be pointing to Windows Media Player. The componant that begins with
254DFD4F can be found in the Registry under the Installer Products. As such
the key I have in question points to an add-in for Windows Media Player from
Wal-Mart of all sources. The Product Name is actually Wal-Mart Music
Downloads Store.

I suspect that this is where the issue is coming from.
I Will attempt uninstalling the product, and see if the errors go away. I
have already tried to re-install media player 10, and the wal-mart plug
in...but with no success.

Let me know if you have heard of any issues in this regard. A similar post
seemed to indicate that it all started for that individual after installing
SP2 for XP

Thanks.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
Subject: MsiInstaller Event 1004 UpdateService
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:42:05 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date: 4/21/2005
Time: 11:29:49 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: MY_COMPUTER
Detection of product '{254DFD4F-4510-48FC-934C-4ECCDEE7CA1A}', feature
'WiMP_Files', component '{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99}' failed. The
resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\UpdateService\' does not
exist.

Same product or just the same issue? Can you post your event log error
too...I am currious?

Thanks

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your update and let me know more information on this issue.

I have never heard of any issue regarding this before. I have searched the
information in Google and other resources, but found nothing which is fully
same to the issue.

I have also searched the related information of
{254DFD4F-4510-48FC-934C-4ECCDEE7CA1A} and
{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99} in the registry on my computer which
is installed Windows XP Pro with SP2. However, I found nothing about them.
Therefore, I agree with you that it is related to the specific product
which is an add-in for Windows Media player named Wal-Mart Music Downloads
Store. And please perform your next step to uninstall the product.

You can remove the Windows Media Player plug-ins from:

Tools-> Options-> plug-ins-> Remove the specific plug-in

HTH! If there is any update, please keep in touch.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:42:05 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date: 4/21/2005
Time: 11:29:49 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: MY_COMPUTER
Detection of product '{254DFD4F-4510-48FC-934C-4ECCDEE7CA1A}', feature
'WiMP_Files', component '{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99}'
failed.
The
resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\UpdateService\' does not
exist.

Hello , With XP , SP2 , : 1 startup item {disabled} "TaskPnl" has stopped the
MsiInstaller warnings . This service launches my ISP taskbar and is docked at
the top of the screen . The TaskBar tabs are : 'Email' & 'Web' < I click on
this 'Web' tab , the Start Page / I.E. / Browser is opened . The other tabs
are :'Protection' & 'Toolbox' . F.Y.I. , This ISP is Earthlink.net . When
launching this "TaskBar from the desktop / shortcut , the MsiINstaller
warnings still appear up in 'event viewer' / application . There are 38
warnings/events in 30 seconds of starup . I believe there is a way around to
fix the 'MsiInstaller' ' warnings' and 'Event '1001 and 1004 for my pc thus
the 'Start Page' will always be used . I also believe the problem is related
closely to the original post and the fix will help both of us foresure . More
help needed with this , please . Thank you Amanda Wang , Your reply with
options to try has helped put me on track .
--
KD

From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:42:05 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date: 4/21/2005
Time: 11:29:49 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: MY_COMPUTER
Detection of product '{254DFD4F-4510-48FC-934C-4ECCDEE7CA1A}', feature
'WiMP_Files', component '{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99}' failed. The
resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\UpdateService\' does not
exist.

Hello , F.Y.I. . When Internet Explorer ' is accessed from the desktop
shortcut icon ... the MsiInstaller events/warnnings do not appear in 'event
viewer ' .And this access is with the 'TaskBar' disabled in start menu
However , when Internet Explorer is opened via the TaskBar / Start Page' ,
the warnnings/events appear . Thank you .

Hello , I tried the other option . Safe mode / run / MSIexec /unregister ...
restart ... etc. . No changes at all . F.Y.I. , when opening from the
Earthlink.net icon , {the TaskBar {docked to top of screen} & Internet
Browser/startpage open simutaniously }, the Warnings appear in 'services' .
Also , before starting in 'Safe Mode' 'Windows Installer was started and set
to 'Automatic' . Originaly Windows Installer was set to 'Manual' and service
was not started . I am stuck . Question : For XP Home , SP2 Labtop , is
MsiInstaller necessary to have started /Automatic ? Manual ? or even started
at all ? Thank you .
--
KD

From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:42:05 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date: 4/21/2005
Time: 11:29:49 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: MY_COMPUTER
Detection of product '{254DFD4F-4510-48FC-934C-4ECCDEE7CA1A}', feature
'WiMP_Files', component '{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99}' failed.
The
resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\UpdateService\' does
not
exist.

Hello , I am trying , more F.Y.I : When double click on the 'warning' , the
event properties read : "Mailbox ' component {CD1CD48D- etc . } failed . The
Resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\UpdateService\ does not
exist . In 'regedit' , it shows like this :
-- 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\+Download Manager (folder) .
Then just below that folder is the folder named 'UpdateService' . When
'UpdateService' folder is opened : in the 'Name ' column it reads 'ab'
(default) . In the 'Type' coloumn it reads REG_SZ . The 'Data' column is emty
.. Is ther a new 'key' to be entered ? and what would be the name of that new
key? Also , is the problem because the 'UpdateService' folder is not in order
? Fact : The +DownloadManager folder comes before the 'UpdateService' folder
? Thank You .
KD

From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:42:05 -0700