Ms Access 2003 and Visual SourceSafe 6

R

Richard

Hello People,

I tried for the first time the latest stable Visual SourceSafe (VSS) version with service pack 6 and with integration
to Ms Access 2003. I could have selected other products but my thought was that I want a good integration with Ms Access.
I have to say, that so far, VSS caused me a lot of grief.
Quite frankly I am surprised that this product is considered 'stable' by Microsoft, so much for "Stable" -

1. I have created a new database from Ms Access in SourceSafe using the integrated commands on Ms Access
('Add database to VSS'). I then, from VSS Explorer, branch the tree so that bug fixes can be done on the new branch
and the major development is done on the main branch. Having done that I want to merge changes from the bug fixes
branch to the main branch. I get the diff merge tool as there are conflicts, so far so good. Having decided what changes
I want to commint to the main branch I try to check-in the merged file but.... how on earth do I check-in those changes.
VSS gives me error message stating that the project is an integrated project and therefore I cannot check-in from withing
the VSS explorer. Should I understand that all bug fixes have to be applied manually on the main branch?

2. My previous databases were constructed with Ms Access 2000. I now have Ms Access 2003 so I convert the
database to 2003 format using the conversion utility within Ms Access 2003. From Ms Access I select the
'Add database to VSS' and I add my converted database.
I (or a different developer) try to 'Create a database from VSS project' but then we get errors stating
Ms Access cannot import <objec>, and to add insult on injury, despite having about 10GB free hard disk space,
we also get stupid error messages stating that we ran out of free temporary disk space. If I do not convert
my database from 2000 format to 2003 format I can download objects from VSS to Ms Access.

If you know how to rectify these problems please let me know

Thanks,
Richard

V

VijayB

Hi Richard,

Maybe too late, but nevertheless.

Please read the section:
What if someone checks out some objects and then they leave o
vacation?

in the article
http://tinyurl.com/zch4j

After each merge, each time you want to checkin the merged files yo
will have to delete "Disable_UI = Yes" line from srcsafe.ini file.

Each time you start MSAccess and open your project, this line i
entered by MSAccess in srcsafe.ini

Regards,
- Vijay

Hello People,

1. I have created a new database from Ms Access in SourceSafe usin
the integrated commands on Ms Access
('Add database to VSS'). I then, from VSS Explorer, branch the tre
so that bug fixes can be done on the new branch
and the major development is done on the main branch. Having don
that I want to merge changes from the bug fixes
branch to the main branch. I get the diff merge tool as there ar
conflicts, so far so good. Having decided what changes
I want to commint to the main branch I try to check-in the merge
file but.... how on earth do I check-in those changes.
VSS gives me error message stating that the project is an integrate
project and therefore I cannot check-in from withing
the VSS explorer. Should I understand that all bug fixes have to b
applied manually on the main branch

-
Vijay

Ask a Question