option isn't even available.

I also know that a common suggestions is to put values in reverse
order, but that also doesn't work. I would like to maintain the order
I have now, just put the axis on top.

Thanks!

E

Earl Kiosterud

David,

For some reason, the floating bars chart doesn't allow the horizontal axis to be positioned
at the top. You can make your own floating bars chart that will allow that. To do that,
make a table like this:

This will be the original data, where the two columns are the start and end values for the
bars:
A B C
1 Alpha 2 3
2 Bravo 1 5
3 Charlie 3 4

Make a table like this
A B C
1 =A2 =B2 =C2-B2
2 =A3 =B3 =C3-B3
3 =A4 =B4 =C4-B4

These tables may be skewed if you're not using a non-proportional font like Courier in your
newsreader.

Now from this table make an ordinary stacked bar chart (Chart type: Bar, Sub-type: second
one). This chart type has horizontal bars. The first series needs to be set so that the
fill and border colors are set to none so it will disappear, leaving the second series to be
your floating bars. Now you can select the horizontal axis, Format Axis, Scale tab, and
check "Category (X) axis crosses at maximum value." That will put it on top.

This chart won't be as pretty as the floating bars type, but you can get the same appearance
by formatting various parts of the chart for the colors, get rid of gridlines, etc., as you
need.

I've made floating bars charts like this where I needed lots of floating bars in each
category (horizontal row of floating bars) with space between each.

Instead of in this newsgroup, you may want to post questions like this in
microsoft.public.excel.charting.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...

D

davidbr55

David,

For some reason, the floating bars chart doesn't allow the horizontal axis to be positioned
at the top. You can make your own floating bars chart that will allow that. To do that,
make a table like this:

This will be the original data, where the two columns are the start and end values for the
bars:
A B C
1 Alpha 2 3
2 Bravo 1 5
3 Charlie 3 4

Make a table like this
A B C
1 =A2 =B2 =C2-B2
2 =A3 =B3 =C3-B3
3 =A4 =B4 =C4-B4

These tables may be skewed if you're not using a non-proportional font like Courier in your
newsreader.

Now from this table make an ordinary stacked bar chart (Chart type: Bar, Sub-type: second
one). This chart type has horizontal bars. The first series needs to be set so that the
fill and border colors are set to none so it will disappear, leaving the second series to be
your floating bars. Now you can select the horizontal axis, Format Axis, Scale tab, and
check "Category (X) axis crosses at maximum value." That will put it on top.

This chart won't be as pretty as the floating bars type, but you can get the same appearance
by formatting various parts of the chart for the colors, get rid of gridlines, etc., as you
need.

I've made floating bars charts like this where I needed lots of floating bars in each
category (horizontal row of floating bars) with space between each.

Instead of in this newsgroup, you may want to post questions like this in
microsoft.public.excel.charting.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterudwww.smokeylake.com

Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...

- Show quoted text -

Perfect!

Thanks Earl

Ask a Question