Moving/repairing installation

• Thread starter John Carlyle-Clarke
  • Start date
J

John Carlyle-Clarke

Hi-

I need some help with this one.

Had a computer with 2 disk partitions. Originally it had Win 95 on C:, and later W2K on D: partition.

I wanted to clean it up and remove 95 and remove the partitions. Since I didn't have Partition
Magic, what I did was copy the D: drive to another place, then repartition and format the drive
(single big partition) and copy the data back again.

Now I need to try and make the OS bootable!

In the root C:\, all I had was pagefile.sys. I used the recovery console to copy ntldr there also. I
also did fixboot and fixmbr. However, no joy. I didn't have a recovery disk, and setup says it can't
find a Windows 2000 installation when I try to repair (although it can find it from the recovery
console to log on).

I realise I will have other problems one I get the system booted (with things pointing to D:\) but I'd
like some help to even get the OS booted.

Am I fighting a losing battle here, or do I have a chance?

Thanks in advance!

D

Dave Patrick

You didn't mention the problem, but these may help.

Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q249/3/21.ASP

How to Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q223/1/88.ASP

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

John Carlyle-Clarke said:
Hi-

I need some help with this one.

Had a computer with 2 disk partitions. Originally it had Win 95 on C:, and later W2K on D: partition.

I wanted to clean it up and remove 95 and remove the partitions. Since I didn't have Partition
Magic, what I did was copy the D: drive to another place, then repartition and format the drive
(single big partition) and copy the data back again.

Now I need to try and make the OS bootable!

In the root C:\, all I had was pagefile.sys. I used the recovery console to copy ntldr there also. I
also did fixboot and fixmbr. However, no joy. I didn't have a recovery disk, and setup says it can't
find a Windows 2000 installation when I try to repair (although it can find it from the recovery
console to log on).

I realise I will have other problems one I get the system booted (with
things pointing to D:\) but I'd

Ask a Question