Movie maker 2 video is choppy

G

I have been making DVDs with Sonic DVD with pretty good success - but the video is choppy at best. I guess what I would like to know is what is the best way to input video from a digital camcorder and an analog to the computer and then to a DVD. Obviously, I would like it to look nice as well. Any suggestions?

I hook up to my computer via a direct connection cable from my digital recorder and with a Dazzle 80 hookup USB from my analog. Acutally, the analog connection turns out less choppy on the DVDs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

G

Unfortunately you have to look for a firewire or USB 2 device, as USB does not hae enough bandwidth to allow fluent and clear video importing...

G

I hookup directly to the computer with my digital camcorder and that video looks more choppy than when I hook up my analog to the computer through a USB device. Are there any settings I should teak on MM2 or my camcorder? Thanks for your help.

G

Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media

Do you connect the digital via firewire? As analogue capture is made at a
lower resolution, then if the pc specs are not up to it they may not cope
with the higher needs of full dv-avi video. Please list pc specs for more
info. Is it teh end result on dvd that is choppy? If so, have you turned off
all other apps not needed, inc.. internet/a-virus/firewall/screensaver etc
etc

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
www.simplydv.co.uk
www.dvds2treasure.com

Larry said:
I hookup directly to the computer with my digital camcorder and that video
looks more choppy than when I hook up my analog to the computer through a
USB device. Are there any settings I should teak on MM2 or my camcorder?
Thanks for your help.the video is choppy at best. I guess what I would like to know is what is
the best way to input video from a digital camcorder and an analog to the
computer and then to a DVD. Obviously, I would like it to look nice as
well. Any suggestions?recorder and with a Dazzle 80 hookup USB from my analog. Acutally, the
analog connection turns out less choppy on the DVDs.

G

I guess I was not thinking straight - the connection is via a USB port on the computer. The best way is with a firewire it sounds like. I will try to turn off appliciations, etc and see what happens. Thanks.

G

I fully agree with Graham, firewire is the best option here if your camcorder supports it.
USB is limited to something like 320x240 for 30fps or 640x480 for 15fps if i remember correctly the specs...
Performance wise you should try to import your video as uncompressed (watch out for the space as uncompressed takes gigabytes in very short time) so that you'll get as much CPU on the capture as possible.
After that you can import the video in WMM and edit it...
Finally, the best resource around about WMM is www.papajohn.org, while further assistance can be found at www.microsoftusernetwork.com/forum

Ask a Question