Move Right Pressing Enter?

CWLee

On Excel 2000, under Tools > Options > Edit I can change the
way the active cell moves when I press enter. Is there a
way to make that change under Excel 5?

(For reasons hard to explain briefly, I must switch back and
forth between two computers, one with Excel 2000, one with
Excel 5.)

Many thanks.
--
----------
CWLee

CWLee

Arvi Laanemets said:
Use Tab key instead!

Thanks, I'm aware of that option. Was hoping for a way to
do in Excel 5 what I can do in Excel 2000 - change so that
the ENTER key moves rightward instead of downward.

==============

RagDyeR

It's been sooooo long since I used 5.0 !

You mean that option isn't there ?

I sort of remember changing the direction on occasion, but I'm not sure.
It's probably there someplace, BUT ... anyway,

Might this help?

Click in A1 and drag to G1 to select the range.
The focus should be in A1.
Now, just *hold down* <Enter>.

You see that the focus changes *but remains* (loops) within the selection.

If you enter any data, and then <Enter>, your next data entry point is the
next cell in the selection.

Creating data entry ranges this way is very quick and easy, and you might
notice, can include rows and/or columns.
--

HTH,

RD

RagDyeR said:
Click in A1 and drag to G1 to select the range.
The focus should be in A1.
Now, just *hold down* <Enter>.

You see that the focus changes *but remains* (loops) within the selection.

If you enter any data, and then <Enter>, your next data entry point is the
next cell in the selection.

Creating data entry ranges this way is very quick and easy, and you might
notice, can include rows and/or columns.

That doesn't seem to work for me, but perhaps I don't
understand your instructions correctly. What do you mean by
"The focus should be in A1."? I don't understand "the focus
changes."

Further explanation appreciated.

Thanks.

Ragdyer

By "focus", I mean the place on the worksheet where an entry from the
keyboard will effect a change.

<<"Click in A1 and drag to G1 to select the range.
The focus should be in A1.">>
Meaning that if you type 125, 125 will be entered into A1.
NOW, if you hit <Enter>, the focus (next cell to accept data) will shift
(move right) to B1.
B1 has the focus (is now ready) to accept data entry.
NOW, if you hit <Enter>, the focus (next cell to accept data) will shift
(move right) to C1.

This is happening (movement to the right) because the focus (next cell to
accept data) is constrained (forced) to remain (stay) within the confines
(limits, borders) of the selection (cells grouped together).

Any other questions ?

CWLee

Thanks, and sorry to be so dense about this. See my more
detailed response below.

==========

Ragdyer said:
By "focus", I mean the place on the worksheet where an entry from the
keyboard will effect a change.

<<"Click in A1 and drag to G1 to select the range.
The focus should be in A1.">>
Meaning that if you type 125, 125 will be entered into A1.
NOW, if you hit <Enter>, the focus (next cell to accept data) will shift
(move right) to B1.
B1 has the focus (is now ready) to accept data entry.
NOW, if you hit <Enter>, the focus (next cell to accept data) will shift
(move right) to C1.

This is happening (movement to the right) because the focus (next cell to
accept data) is constrained (forced) to remain (stay) within the confines
(limits, borders) of the selection (cells grouped together).

Any other questions ?

Now I understand what you meant, and I can do what you said
and thereby cause the enter key to move me rightwise in THAT
ROW ONLY.

However, in your post before the last you also said
"Creating data entry ranges this way is very quick and easy,
and you might
notice, can include rows and/or columns." I would like to,
for a simple example, make my first data entry in cell A1,
and then as I hit enter have the focus shift to B1, C1,
then A2, B2, C2, A3, B3, C3, etc. How can I arrange that?

(When I have used what I understood to be the method you
suggested, the sequence goes A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2,
C3, etc. For my purposes, that is no improvement over the
default sequencing.)

Other ideas?

Thanks, and best regards.

Gord Dibben

CW

Try this.

With <ENTER> key set to move DOWN...........

Start in A1, type something then hit TAB to go to B1, type something and hit
TAB to go to C1, type something and hit <ENTER> to go to A2.

TAB will take you across and the <ENTER> will take you back to original
starting column one row down.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

RagDyer

I don't know Gord.
The OP answered Arvi that he more or less didn't really want to use <Tab>,
but try to be consistant with XL2K and just use <Enter>.

What do you say we suggest the "old" named range approach ?

CW, check out this link to an old post.
It *will* do *exactly* what you wish, if you're willing to go to the trouble
to set it up.

http://tinyurl.com/39vzv
--

HTH,

RD

CW

Try this.

With <ENTER> key set to move DOWN...........

Start in A1, type something then hit TAB to go to B1, type something and hit
TAB to go to C1, type something and hit <ENTER> to go to A2.

TAB will take you across and the <ENTER> will take you back to original
starting column one row down.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Gord Dibben

OK with me RD.

I missed the beginning of the thread so wasn't aware of the injunction against
the TAB key.

Gord

CWLee

RagDyer said:
CW, check out this link to an old post.
It *will* do *exactly* what you wish, if you're willing to go to the trouble
to set it up.

http://tinyurl.com/39vzv

Thank you. I tried that and it worked perfectly, (after I
used the help function to learn what the "name box" was -
dumb me!)

I really appreciate your assistance, and am impressed by the
way you guys seem to know each other and work so well
together.

Best regards.

RagDyer

Thanks for the feed-back.

And yes, many first time and/or new posters are amazed at how nice the folks
in the XL groups are, compared to the rest !<g>

RD