UnZip?

CWLee

Was recently sent an Excel file, but one that had been
"zipped" and the resulting file extension was .zip. Excel
doesn't seem to recognize this, and I've been told I need
to "unzip" the file first. How do I do that? I'm using
W-2000/Pro and Excel 2000 which I believe came installed as
part of Office 2000.

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Ken Wright

When you zip an Excel file (or any other file), you use a program totally
unrelated to Excel that takes all the data in your file and 'squashes' it (Zips
it) using various compression techniques into a much smaller file. This is
ussually so it can be stored/mailed as it takes up much less space/bandwidth.
Excel however, cannot read this smaller file in this format, and so you also
need to 'unsquash' it using a compression program. If you ever saw Felix the
Cat then his bag would represent the compression program, or Doctor Who where
his tardis represents the compression program. As Olark says, Winzip is the
most common compression program.

David McRitchie

I use UltimateZip myself and am *very* happy with it.

UltimateZip - Download, reportedly better than WinZip. UltimateZip is
free unlike WinZip. Can unzip to new folder same name, same folder,
or anywhere else.
http://www.ultimatezip.com/download.htm

If you left click on a zipped (.zip) file you can browse it
without permanently unzipping.

Right-click options.
Add to Archives
Add to "filename".zip
Zip and E-mail "filename".zip

Extract to...
Extract to here
Extract to folder
Create Self-Extractor (.exe)
E-mail ...zip

When you have zip file (.zip), it could be one file that is compressed
or it could be several file, and it may have one or more directories
in addition, so you would not be able to open it directly from Excel.

Other zipped files have an .exe file extension and are self-extracting
files -- you should never open such files unless you know where it
came from and are expecting it.

There are other file extensions that are also used and may be unzipped
on PCs they were for other systems.

More things that are free and most of which I use can be found in
Things you should have that are Free
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/webnofee.htm

David McRitchie

Extend that warning to any zip file, because the file may be
zipped just to hide the real content.

The original poster did not indicate they were expecting the zip
file they received. Unless you know the person who sent you the
file and are expecting it -- you should not open it, or at least be
very wary. You should check the zip file and the unzipped files
for viruses from anything you are unsure of. And don't place that
much reliance on your AntiVirus program, because they are always
a few steps behind the viruses. If you don't check for updates daily
for your AV program it is not going to do you much good.

What You Should Know About the Mydoom Worm Variants: Mydoom.A and Mydoom.B http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/mydoom.asp

LockerGnome: January 29, 2004 - The Worms Are Back In Town
http://channels.lockergnome.com/it/backissues/20040129.phtml

The following posting was posted by Microsoft in the newsgroups:
From: Jesse Pedroza ([email protected])
Subject: New E-Mail Worm: W32/Mydoom@MM
Date: 2004-01-27 11:53:55 PST
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Some links for AntiVirus sites and information for Outlook Express
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm#antiviruses
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm#viruses

By all means if your ISP provides measures to deal with Spam
and viruses, use them as your first line of defense.

Ken Wright

Especially in the current climate!! If you get an email saying it wasn't able
to deliver the attached file, and you don't remember sending, then you didn't -
It's likely a virus!!

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03