Mouse wheel scrolls like crazy!

Michel Merlin

While struggling with previous problems in XP, and before
finding fixes to them, I am suddenly served with still another
one: my scrolling wheel suddenly scrolls much too fast, and
sometimes scrolls without any action from me, making that wheel
useless. This is desperately reducing any "productivity" in XP.

The involved mouse is a
"Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000 OEM"
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/oempartners/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=045

In "Start > Settings > Control Panel > Mouse > Hardware", I have
2 devices:

- Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
- Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)

Unfortunately the 1st one (Synaptics) is selected, and I can't
select the 2nd (if I do, go away and come back, the 1st is
selected again, so I can't know on which has acted what I did
meanwhile).

In "Start > Settings > Control Panel > Mouse > Scrolling",
I find my settings unchanged (vertical scrolling speed about
middle; acceleration near the max). So I reduce them
(speed = Slow, acceleration in the middle), but this doesn't
change anything; I guess it acts onto the TouchPad and
not on the Mouse 4000.

Anyone knows how to get out of this? TIA,

Paris, Fri 1 Sep 2006 09:49:45 +0200

I have that problem also...not just the wheel, the window scrolls erratically
no matter what I do to try to stabelize it. Even drop down windows act the
same way; changing my entry unless I move super fast . Seems as though
whatever I'm trying to select triggers this behavior. I have winXP Prof
Edition on HP/Compac Sff computer, and I'm quite sure it has nothing to do
with the mouse itself or the settings. I believe it's a virus or some sort
of spyware that has infected my computer. Can anyone identify what virus or
malware might be causing this? I have the McAfee suite of Viruscan, Personal
Firewalll+, Privacy Service. Also I run Windows Defender,Spybot and this
thing persists.
I can sometimes almost not use my computer.

--Alias--

Michel said:
[...]

What happens when you try a different mouse?

alias

--Alias--

Hal said:
I have that problem also...not just the wheel, the window scrolls erratically
no matter what I do to try to stabelize it. Even drop down windows act the
same way; changing my entry unless I move super fast . Seems as though
whatever I'm trying to select triggers this behavior. I have winXP Prof
Edition on HP/Compac Sff computer, and I'm quite sure it has nothing to do
with the mouse itself or the settings. I believe it's a virus or some sort
of spyware that has infected my computer. Can anyone identify what virus or
malware might be causing this? I have the McAfee suite of Viruscan, Personal
Firewalll+, Privacy Service. Also I run Windows Defender,Spybot and this
thing persists.
I can sometimes almost not use my computer.

What happens when you try a different mouse?

Alias

Michel Merlin

After a reboot for another reason (trying to fix another bug,
this one in F-Secure, see
"Installing F-Secure removed all icons in Outlook Express!",
http://www.antisource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=153 and
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/supportissue/fsis2006/email_spam_q04.shtml),
the wheel scrolling came back to near normal.

Previously I had tried Tweak UI, and dropped updating driver
because 50MB.

The cause, thus a real fix, remains to be found.

Paris, Fri 1 Sep 2006 19:08:40 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
[...]

You are right, I should have tried my Touchpad - I forgot, and
now I have to wait for the flaw appearing another time before
being able to try again. Sorry!

Paris, Fri 1 Sep 2006 19:09:15 +0200

Michel said:
You are right, I should have tried my Touchpad - I forgot, and
now I have to wait for the flaw appearing another time before
being able to try again. Sorry!

I said nothing about a touch pad. I did say try another mouse. Have you
done that?

Alias

Talahassee

While struggling with previous problems in XP, and before
finding fixes to them, I am suddenly served with still another
one: my scrolling wheel suddenly scrolls much too fast, and
sometimes scrolls without any action from me, making that wheel
useless. This is desperately reducing any "productivity" in XP.

several solutions I am aware of.

1 YOu may want to first do a system restore. Your mouse driver may
have been corrupted.

2 You may want to check the mouse settings (control panel)

3 A third option is to get a new mouse. I prefer the Optical
(cordless) usb 2.0 mice, and these days they're cheap enough to have a
"spare" handy, ANYWAY.

At least if you tested with a brand new mouse (name brand, please:
Microsoft/Logitech/Dell), you'd know IMMEDIATELY whether it's your
mouse or something in your computer.

(and if you go with cordless, don't forget it's a tiny radio, and be
sure -- if it's not working at all immediately-- that you "tune it".
Many mice / transmitters have a tiny button that you push on the
transmitter, and / or a tiny button you press on the mouse. One press,
nothing happens; another press, and you have a working, cordless
mouse.

Good luck!

Tallahassee

Talahassee

Sorry to contradict you! I have had EXACTLY these sorts of problems
on a number of occasions. (I just had to buy like 4 (FOUR) mice to
resolve the problem. I bought like 3 CRAP mice before I got a good
one. But with each mouse acting ERRATICALLY in a different manner, it
was logical that I had narrowed the problem to the mouse.

Once I got a $30 Microsoft wireless Optical usb 2.0 mouse, and TUNED
it, "wa la"! Problem solved!

I believe it's a virus or some sort
Doubtful! A virus would very quickly render your computer inoperable.
For example.
The last virus I got took over so quickly that I opened one window,
and the computer opened 100 more. I know because I have my settings
that my open windows appear as buttons on my QUick Launch bar. I
clicked, and I had 5 windows, and as I watched the Quick launch bar, I
was "opening" 10- 20- windows AT A TIME. Before I could figure it
out, I had run out of ram, and my computer locked up.

Everything I hadn't backed up to my external drive was G O N E!

You're 95% positive dealing with a mouse that's died, or a mouse
driver. And at the VERY least- it's the easiest thing to diagnose.
Buy a spare mouse (which you should have ANYWAY, like a spare
keyboard, and a spare monitor, and a spare hard drive... and swap out
the mouse.

You'll know INSTANTLY (assuming it's a usb 2.0 mouse).

Can anyone identify what virus or
SWAP YOUR MOUSE! It's a DAMN cheap fix!

Good luck!

Tallahassee

Talahassee

x-no-archive: yes
Hello

Or try to clean the roller ball in the mouse if there is one

Bye

Oh! For cryin' out L O U D !!

IF you have the ancient mouse with the ball on the bottom, this is
EXACTLY what will happen!

sheesh! Thanks, Daphne!

lol!!

You open the thing on the bottom, remove the ball, be sure it's
spotlessly clean (NO visible specs), then look inside the mouse, and
be sure the lint is away from the axles, and that the little wheels
are SHINY and of their original color.

THEN, toss the damn thing in the garbage and get an Optical usb mouse!

I've had a dozen people ask me, "WHy is my mouse so erratic?" I ask if
it's the one with the ball on the bottom.
"Yes."
How recently have you de-linted it?
"Do what?"

This is 2006 folks! Time to spring for some

NEW TECHNOLOGY!

smirk.