Sandy

Hi Winnie,

There's no "EXT" on the bottom of my Excel window, and
pressing F8 doesn't work. Have you heard of any other
possible solutions??

Sandy

Reaction score
Mouse making excel highlight multiple cells ad infinitum

When this happened to me, it was because of my optical mouse. I replaced it with a PS2 Mouse and the problem has not recurred.

Reaction score
Solution still not clear

I have found several instances of this "Excel mouse problem" on the net and there aren't any clear solutions. I tried switching from optical (Logitech, with wheel) to and OLD logitech 3 button ball mouse - no change. (all this was without rebooting. (I can't afford to reboot because other people are using files over the LAN from my machine). I wonder if rebooting would have fixed it. I am running XP Pro and Office2k. I have seen this before and don't know how I solved it. This time, kind of freaky, I unplugged the mouse, accessed the my work station from another station (started Excel) had the same problem, and then when I plugged in the mouse (optical) the poblem mysteriously vanished. I don't think it is the mouse, I think windows gets into some kind of weird state and the trick is to reset it. (I wonder if a plain old reboot would have fixed it). It is just that today, I couldn't reboot until quite a bit later and I NEED to use Excel. So I started poking around and am offering my two cents.

Reaction score
Wheel mouse might be the problem

Just when I thought my problems were over (still not able to reboot) the problem came back. Fixed by pressing the wheel in while on the spreadsheet. Seems to reset the "stuck" nature of the selecting.

Ask a Question