Motherboard only works with one memory chip

Nick

I built a system and installed 1gb of DDRII (512mb in each of the red
slots). It was working ok. Then I had to do some hd installation. After
that the mb would not boot, there was no display. I took the 2nd memory
cup out and it booted ok. So I swapped the chips and it still booted
ok. However when I put both memory chips in there is no display.

Dave

Nick said:
I built a system and installed 1gb of DDRII (512mb in each of the red
slots). It was working ok. Then I had to do some hd installation. After
that the mb would not boot, there was no display. I took the 2nd memory
cup out and it booted ok. So I swapped the chips and it still booted
ok. However when I put both memory chips in there is no display.

OK, you are saying that when you added a hard drive, the computer stopped
POSTing. Removing a memory chip caused it to POST again?

Sounds like a weak power supply. -Dave

John Doe

Nick said:
Its a 650 watt power supply (cpu is intel 2.66 Dual Core).

What brand?

Remove the hard drives (and maybe other stuff) and see if it will
boot with both memory chips.

larry moe 'n curly

Nick said:
Its a 650 watt power supply (cpu is intel 2.66 Dual Core).

How do you know it's a real 650W PSU? Many manufacturers aren't
truthful, and one of the worst was found to overrate some of their PSUs
by about 100%. It's possible you have a PSU that's barely being
overloaded, and a quality 400W PSU would let your system work.

I don't see how a mobo can run with only one memory chip because
wouldn't that require either a chip that's at least 64 bits wide or
hardware to make it look that wide? All memory modules I've seen that
were at least 512MB in size each contained either 8 or 16 chips.

Nick

I removed everything except basic power. Still the same; only one chip
works. Its not the memory chip as I have swapped them around.

I have tried another power supply without luck.

Nick said:
I removed everything except basic power. Still the same; only one chip
works. Its not the memory chip as I have swapped them around.

DIMM, not "chip". DIMM = several memory chips.

beerspill

Nick said:
I took the 2nd memory cup out and it booted ok. So I swapped
the chips and it still booted ok. However when I put both memory
chips in there is no display.

Your soldering skills and equipment must be very good if you can swap
chips between memory modules like that.
Its a 650 watt power supply

No, it's not. Post a picture of its insides.

djs0302

Nick said:
I built a system and installed 1gb of DDRII (512mb in each of the red
slots). It was working ok. Then I had to do some hd installation. After
that the mb would not boot, there was no display. I took the 2nd memory
cup out and it booted ok. So I swapped the chips and it still booted
ok. However when I put both memory chips in there is no display.

The memory chips might both be okay but did you test them in each of
the memory slots? Maybe one of the memory slots on the motherboard is
bad.

Nick

I have tried 2 different power supplies. Sorry about the chip/dimm
names. You know what I mean.

As things stand, either one dimm will work in any of the slots.
However, both of them will not work together. They are both Crucial
brand and from the same batch/spec.

John Doe

do_not_spam_me my-deja.com said:
DIMM, not "chip". DIMM = several memory chips.

The term "memory module" might be even better.

But the fact we understand what he means is all that really matters.
It could be worse.

John Doe

Troll

From: beerspill whoever.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Motherboard only works with one memory chip
Date: 14 May 2006 22:46:04 -0700

Your soldering skills and equipment must be very good if you can swap
chips between memory modules like that.

No, it's not. Post a picture of its insides.

John Doe

Nym shifting troll

See also (in this same thread):
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
"larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly my-deja.com>

Nick

I tested them in all slots; slots all work with individual dimms. But
when I place 2 dimms (in separate slots of course) there is problem (no
post/display).

spodosaurus

Nick said:
I tested them in all slots; slots all work with individual dimms. But
when I place 2 dimms (in separate slots of course) there is problem (no
post/display).

What does the manual say about maximum memmory and memmory per slot?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Dave H.

Nick said:
I built a system and installed 1gb of DDRII (512mb in each of the red
slots). It was working ok. Then I had to do some hd installation. After
that the mb would not boot, there was no display. I took the 2nd memory
cup out and it booted ok. So I swapped the chips and it still booted
ok. However when I put both memory chips in there is no display.

Recently tinkered with a VIA chipset mobo which was fine with one double
sided 512Mb Kingston PC3200 value ram at 234 Mhz 3-3-8-3 1T, but it would
not see a second identical stick of ram unless the command timing was set at
2T (which unfortunately reduces the memory performance by 5 or 10 %).

Not sure why adding a hard drive would mess up your ram, especially if it
still won't boot after removing the drive again. Resetting your cmos bios
settings may help. Most newer systems need more power, clean power, and some
off-brand power supplies are junk.

Also, try booting to your bios screen with a single dimm installed and
experiment with different memory timing settings (CAS, rRCD, tRP, tRAS, and
command timing T). If you are lucky, you have a mobo which can recover from
bad timings without resetting your cmos (some have you hold down a key after
a failing to post). You can learn the default timings which are programmed
into your dimms with a utility like cpu-z (which can read the SPD data).
Memtest86 can help you test the ram, and to be extra careful, you can keep
your hard drives unplugged during the testing process. Prime95 testing would
help you test stability once you've booted into windows.

Nick

Actually I have done all the tests with HD etc removed (only ATX, cpu
fan plugged in) and the memory still work in pairs.

I will try changing memory speeds to see if it makes any difference.

John said:
do_not_spam_me my-deja.com wrote:

The term "memory module" might be even better.

But the fact we understand what he means is all that really matters.
It could be worse.

I know someone who removed a 32MB x 8 memory _chip_ from a 64MB DIMM
when instructed to do so by a tech support person who meant to say
"DIMM" or "memory module." This is why I don't like using incorrect
teminology.