Monitor problem

Reaction score
I have a gateway 3v730 monitor,well i when to work and when i came home the light to my monitor was off.I unlugged it and let it sit for a while thinking maybe their was a power surge or something.Well after i plugged it in,it still didnt turn on,the light or anything.I put my head close to the monitor and i heard a little ticking noise,i took the case off the monitor to see exactly where the ticking was coming from.I noticed a little fuse where i thought the ticking was coming from so i took it out and plugged in the monitor and the ticking was gone but it still didnt turn on.I really have no idea if it is just fried or if it is something i can fix

Any help would be really appericated

thanx

Reaction score
Do Not Open!!!

Welcome to the Forum...

I can't seem to find a monitor of tht description on the net on either google or yahoo search engines have you got it right?

Without more information and correct model number we may not be able to help sorry!

The fact you removed the fuse and the ticking stopped simplifies that there is now no power going to the monitor that is why it stopped ticking.

Another thing, it is most certainly a PSU (power supply Unit) or LOPT (Line output transformer) problem. DO NOT OPEN the monitor while switched on or even off. Modern day monitor hold upwards of 30KV (KiloVolts) and some even the chassis's are live for several hours even if unplugged. It may or may not be repairable, in my experience most are. I suggest you take it to a repair shop and find out!! They will tell you if it's financially viable to repair or throw it away.

Goodluck!!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
It could be the Gateway E V730 17" CRT monitor, and as TD has already said you appear to have a power supply problem.

To be honest I doubt if its worth repairing, with the price of CRT's now you may as well buy a new one - you can get new ones for under £100 :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
9 times out of 10 it's the PC, not the monitor, that has failed.

A monitor needs a 'signal' off the PC before it will turn on ... is there an amber light on the monitor?

oh, welcome to the forums. :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I think its gotta be the power Mucks - he's already said he's getting no lights at all when he switches on - he should at least get an amber standby light I would imagine?

Reaction score
The problem usually comes down to faulty Capacitors not charging/Discharging or an faultly opto Isolator, however there are that many probelms that without having the specific symptoms, Schematic or previous diagnostics from a third party, they can be an absolute pain in the backside to repair at times.

Best leave it to the pros!

Or as suggested just go buy a new one ;)

Ask a Question