Modding my Case

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
After what has been said about this place being quieter than normal, and muck's suggestion to do something about it, i thought i'd ask a question or two that i've been wondering about for a while.

Well here goes,

I have been wondering about my case, the grill on the back over the rear exaust fan to be more precise.

Basically i've been wondering if i could cut away the grill to improve the airflow, I have read this is a very good way to improve the airflow and temp of the case. (As it is, it isnt a 'Honeycombe' style, just holes)

Now heres the second part of the question, If i do cut it with a Dremmel or something similar, i will have to take everythng out of the case, so i dont get metal flakes in the psu and other components. So i was wondering if there was a way i could do it by cutting it away. (I.e a set of metal cutters maybe?) :confused:

If this is not possible then i will just get a nice new case instead, as i cant see the point of taking everything out of it just for that, if i was gonna remove all the hardware then i may as well put it all back in a nce new shiny case! :)

Hope that makes sence to everyone and thanks in advance for the help. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Without the grill the components will be more affected by dust getting in - you could invest in an air duster to clean it up, but it's a lot of excess work.

I think (if you do decide to do it) it would be best to use a Dremmel and take everything out - metal cutters are likely to distort the metal, and it's pretty difficult to get a clean finish without having to file the edges.

Why not invest in different cooling system (or case)?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Bex said:
I think (if you do decide to do it) it would be best to use a Dremmel and take everything out - metal cutters are likely to distort the metal, and it's pretty difficult to get a clean finish without having to file the edges.

Some very valid points, me think it maybe easier to just get a new case and be done with it!

The cooling systems all good as it is, got 2 Vantec Stealth's in there at the mo (1x intake & 1x exaust.) 3D Rocket for CPU and toying with the idea of getting an Arctic Cooler for the 6800gt, but thats only a thought for now.

To be honest there aint a lot wrong with it at the mo, i is just being fussy i guess!! Want Less noise and less heat! Ah the holy Grail of pc's....! :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you take the grill away it WILL improve airflow ... yes you WILL attract more 'dust', however, with no grill the dust will have nothing to stick to. :D

You'll also need to 'clean out' a little more often, just in case I'm wrong about the dust.

Oh, and yes, either take everything out, or buy a new case and 'mod' it first. :thumb:

Reaction score
If you feel like modding ur case do something extreme! if your gonna have to talk all the parts out you may want to try a new look and paint it or something ! :D ... just a suggestion and yes a 'wild' one hehe ! :p

but like Mucks said it will give u a drop in temperatures i would think.

If the mod goes completley wrong, like you said you may want a new case lol ... so it'll be an excuse to get one! :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thinking about plan 'B'.. Maybe i'll cut a 'Blowhole' in the top or the side, (As they are both removable) if i dont get a new case.

But the Thermaltake Tsumami does look very nice, with a wiindow and in black. :)

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Take components out of case... dremel the vent out.... place in a screen and fan.... air flow should still be more than before.. screen will help catch dust... will have to clean screen periodically to prevent dust build up....

Add the blow hole...make sure its exaust... heast raises so best reslults that way... if poosible but blow hole directly on top of cpu... get the most heat out that way in my opinion.

How many fans you have now.... I plan on making a blow hole as well and making my dual exaust fans into intakes since they are very near to the cpu and will help push more air past the cpu faster. But this work due to the setup of my case which is a Guardian.. I am going to dremel out my grills too and am not going to add a screen because the fans mount in a plastice grill thing that I can't remove(well I can but that be a HUGE headache)

If all goes wrong and case is destroyed... well it will still have been fun.. aand all components will already be out waiting for your new case. ;)

Ask a Question