Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not used it myself - way above my head :eek:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
yeah, so it turns out. :blush:

I am looking for something simple to test my RS485 gateways. I think we paid for a copy of Modsim32 once. I must dig through the server.

Ian, Modbus is a method to obtain data from devices. It is a form of databasing where data is placed into a table and called when required. For example, an engine has a temperature sensor. This sensor is called by the ECM to report it's reading. ECM stores that data in a table. I call that data from the ECM using my device to send a request for data. If properly formatted, the ECM responds with the request. I can make a request for multiple data entries at a time. At which point, the ECM sends me a table of the data requested. Finally, I take this data and display it on a screen with some pretty software that our developers came up with.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation - it looks like complicated stuff!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
You would be surprised. It only really sounds complicated. I was way confused when someone first introduced it to me. I have a better handle on it, but slightly unsure of a couple things.

I am looking to move into robotics. I figure serial communications is a good place to start.

Ask a Question