missing start menu and task bar

G

I recently performed a clean install of windows xp pro. Everything loaded with no errors and windows seemed to work properly after initially loading - such as the task bar, start menu, services, etc. I loaded windows office pro 2003 and I also loaded the earthlink program, went on the internet, downloaded SP1 and other fixes from microsoft. Again, everything in windows and all programs seemed to work properly at this point. After shutting the computer down and restarting, it is awefully slow after bootup (4-5 minutes) to when the last windows icon appears on the desktop. The task bar and start menu are now missing, the earthlink icon doesn't work and other windows functionality - like services, search, help and support, etc., do not respond! It's like something got disconnected or lost when windows restarted.
However, Office pro 2003 still seems to work
And this is after my 3rd or 4th attempt of loading, reloading, trying to "repair" windows, re-formating the c drive, etc., etc.. Nothing has worked and I'm mentally exhausted. Parts of windows still works and other things don't.
Please help, anyone!

G

Try formatting the hard drive again, but this time before loading any programs see if the computer works like it is suppose to. If it does first program to install should be an antivirus program, along with turning on the firewall. Then internet and update said program. Second should be a spyware, adware programs. You can download a number of these from the net. Good luck and remember to always protect your computer with these type programs.

Ask a Question