Windows XP Missing Help & support and Msconfig.exe

Reaction score
Hello all, here is my computer problem, when I try to open my startups, I type in msconfig or msconfig.exe, it states that this file cannot be found? Its the same thing when I try to open the help & support file. Does anyone know whats going on? My computer has Win. XP Home Ed., with McAfee antivirus, Windows mailicious Software Remover, Windows Defender, with 2GB's of RAM, 250 GB H.D.

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a virus...Try running Super Anti Spyware and Spybot Search and Destroy..Once you have done this and are sure there are no viruses left behind..Insert your XP CD and do a Repair install..Thsi will repair any damaged missing OS files..Not to worry, none of your other data will be affected by this....

Reaction score
Well Madxgraphics, I did get Msconfig to come up, but I still cannot find Help & Support. I even checked local services by typing service.msc in the Run box and brought up local services, but it wasn't listed in there either? I ran the Win. XP H.Ed. CD, but it stated that there were no errors. So, now what do i do?

Reaction score
billybobbbuddy said:
So, now what do i do?

Go run Spybot Search and Destroy and Super Anti Spyware as I advised...Viruses are designed in a way that when you use normal windows utilities they will tell you everything is good...That is why we have programs like SPybot and the like...

Edit: Run CCleaner when you have finieshed running the other two..

Last edited:

Ask a Question