missing F10 recovery option

geekdna

Needed to repair my XP SP2 OS but the disks I thought were the right ones
weren't. It iwas a different OEM version and I don't have a product key, so
can't boot up. Now that I have found the correct recovery disks for my
system, the F10 recovery option is not available while starting. I can get
into BIOS and CMOS and even boot to safe mode w/prompt, but I can't get it
to boot from CD, even tho it says it's doing so. When at the command prompt,
I can't get an alternate drive to come up, even tho the CD rom drive shows
up in the BIOS. A flash drive isn't recognized, either.

I can't help but think it should be an easy fix, but I don't know how to go
about it.

Can anyone help?

Leonard Grey

Each computer manufacturer has their own recovery method, which varies
from model to model. Contact the manufacturer of your computer for help
with recovering your computer.

geekdna

HP Compaq, so I'm basically screwed. I can't get any support for the version
I have; HP doesn't even make drivers available online for my 4 year old
system.

Needed to repair my XP SP2 OS but the disks I thought were the right ones
weren't. It iwas a different OEM version and I don't have a product key, so
can't boot up. Now that I have found the correct recovery disks for my
system, the F10 recovery option is not available while starting. I can get
into BIOS and CMOS and even boot to safe mode w/prompt, but I can't get it
to boot from CD, even tho it says it's doing so. When at the command prompt,
I can't get an alternate drive to come up, even tho the CD rom drive shows
up in the BIOS. A flash drive isn't recognized, either.

I can't help but think it should be an easy fix, but I don't know how to go
about it.

Can anyone help?

Why do you think your system needs a repair?

SC Tom

I can't believe they aren't there somewhere- I just downloaded all the XP
drivers for a 5 year old Presario 2500 notebook I recently rebuilt for a
friend. What is the model number of yours, the one listed on the tag?
On the 2500, pressing the ESC key when the HP/Compaq logo or the PST screen
appears brings up boot menu, allowing you to pick the CD drive to boot from.

SC Tom

SC Tom

That should read "POST screen."

SC Tom said:
I can't believe they aren't there somewhere- I just downloaded all the XP
drivers for a 5 year old Presario 2500 notebook I recently rebuilt for a
friend. What is the model number of yours, the one listed on the tag?
On the 2500, pressing the ESC key when the HP/Compaq logo or the PST
screen appears brings up boot menu, allowing you to pick the CD drive to
boot from.

SC Tom

Brian A.

Although some PCs become outdated sooner than others, one that's 4 yrs old
should still have support available.
Please provide the PCs Manufacturer/Make/Model to help us better help you.

Manufacturer - Dell, Emachine, HP, Gateway, etc.
Make - Dimension, Pavilion, etc.
Model/Series - 9200C, 7125, etc.

Example: Dell Demension 9100C, HP Pavilion 7125

If you were experiencing any issue(s) prior to the attempted "Repair",
please provide detailed information on what the issue(s) were and what you
have already attempted to resolve the issue(s) prior to the attempted
"Repair".

--

Brian A. Sesko
http://basconotw.mvps.org/