Missing Date Header in Outlook Express

ezandy

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to settle an argument with a colleague.

I'm using a 3rd party business application that uses extended MAPI t
generate and send simple emails via SMTP (To, Subject, Message Body an
attachment) in Outlook with things like invoices, remittances attached
The problem I'm having is that the date header is missing from email
generated this way. This results in a number of emails being rejecte
as spam by certain email servers (Error 552 - no date header....)

My question is then who is responsible for ensuring these emails ar
RFC2822 compliant?(ie include the origination date in the header) Th
MTA, MUA or the 3rd party business application? I suspect the busines
app, but my colleague insists the MUA, as the date can only be know
when the command to send (ie pushing the send button) is made.

Thanks in advance

Andy

ezandy

So far, Outlook Express and Windows Mail

Hope this helps.

TIA

Andy

'K. Orland[_2_ said:
;314283']Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express (which is part of Interne
Explorer)?

"ezandy" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to settle an argument with a colleague.

I'm using a 3rd party business application that uses extended MAPI to
generate and send simple emails via SMTP (To, Subject, Message Bod
and
attachment) in Outlook with things like invoices, remittance
attached.
The problem I'm having is that the date header is missing from emails
generated this way. This results in a number of emails being rejected
as spam by certain email servers (Error 552 - no date header....)

My question is then who is responsible for ensuring these emails are
RFC2822 compliant?(ie include the origination date in the header) The
MTA, MUA or the 3rd party business application? I suspect th
business
app, but my colleague insists the MUA, as the date can only be known
when the command to send (ie pushing the send button) is made.

Thanks in advance

Andy.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

I'm using a 3rd party business application that uses extended MAPI to
Are you sending it through Outlook using ExMapi or through Outlook Express?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

ezandy said:
So far, Outlook Express and Windows Mail

Hope this helps.

TIA

Andy

'K. Orland[_2_ said:
;314283']Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express (which is part of Internet
[...]

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Apologies, I may have confused the issue somewhat.

I'm generating emails from the business app using extended mapi, whic
dumps email message + attachments in the outbox of outlook (not expres
or mail) and then sends.

The real issue for me is where the responsibility lies is adding thi
header to the message. No doubt RFC 2822 is basic compliance an
observed by all applications capable of generating email messages.

My initial thoughts were either the business app or Outlook. SMT
servers can be configured to various degrees to reject emails without
date header. Additionally so can spam filters.

If it is the responsibility of the business app to add the date heade
through ExMapi, then surely this must be a short-coming and one tha
must be addressed by the vendor?!?!

Alternatively, if ExMapi cannot do this, then I would think that th
MUA is responsible. How else could email messages from Outlook compl
in the first place.

As is plainly evident, I'm a troglodyte on this matter, but at least i
will give me a starting point, as this issue is impacting my business!

Thanks,

Andy

'Diane Poremsky [MVP said:
;314426'] I'm using a 3rd party business application that uses extende
MAPI to---
generate and send simple emails via SMTP (To, Subject, Message Body
and attachment) in Outlook with things like invoices, remittances
attached.---

Are you sending it through Outlook using ExMapi or through Outloo
Express?

--

'K. Orland[_2_ Wrote:-
[...]

Ok so it sounds to me like the client (in this case the business app
should be adding the date in the header, BUT SMTP servers must no
reject emails based on no date in the header.

I think I'm getting closer (or possibly not!!)

Cheers

Andy

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Right - the biz app should do it, but if not then the smtp server that
accepts it should do it. I personally think outlook should since it is
handing it off, but apparently its getting dropped into the outbox in such a
way that outlook can't add it.

What app is it?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

F.H. Muffman

Ok so it sounds to me like the client (in this case the business app)
Right - the biz app should do it, but if not then the smtp server that
accepts it should do it. I personally think outlook should since it is
handing it off, but apparently its getting dropped into the outbox in
such a way that outlook can't add it.

The server shouldn't 'should' do it, the server should 'may' add it.

Horrible grammar, but I think it's vaguely clear.

Basically, the server doesn't have to add it, there's absolutely no rule
saying it should, just that it can. I'd argue that it shouldn't do it, but
since the rules don't go either way, we're both right.

And I agree about how its getting into the outbox. In fact, lets reverse
engineer it.

The Date field is actually set by when the client submits a message into
the queue, not the server queue but the local queue. NNTP messages are the
same way, you reply offline at 10pm, but don't sync until the next day at
7a, all the posts come in with 10p timestamps (or should, last I checked).

So, the 2822 header must get built somewhere in the clicking of the 'send'
button (or alt/ctrl-enter). Whatever internal code is being called gets skipped
by the business app which just drops into the outbox.

So, your app is letting Outlook do the mailing, making your app not the user
agent, but leaving Outlook to be the user agent. Which means Outlook is responsible
for adding the date.

However, whatever method you're using to get the message into the Outbox
seems to circumvent the code that creates the SMTP header. I don't see an
easy way to get to the Internet Headers via the gui for a message in the
Outbox to verify this, so you might want to pop into one of the coding forums
to see if there's a way to get this to work better.

Or, conversely, just configure your app to not use Outlook and just speak
SMTP and actually be the user agent.